Pirates attacked a Turkish cargo ship off the West African coast, killing a sailor and kidnapping 15 others, officials said Sunday. The M/V Mozart, which sails under a Liberian flag, was traveling from the Nigerian city of Lagos to Cape Town, South Africa, when the attack took place. The abducted crew members are reportedly from Turkey. Turkey’s Maritime Directorate said the man who was killed was an engineer from Azerbaijan. What happened? The ship was attacked 185 kilometers (100 nautical miles) northwest of the island nation of Sao Tome and Principe in the Gulf of Guinea on Saturday morning. Turkey’s Maritime Directorate said the crew initially locked themselves in a safe area but the pirates forced entry after six hours. The engineer died during the struggle. After taking most of the crew hostage on Saturday, the pirates left the ship in the Gulf of Guinea with three sailors aboard, Turkish state-run Anadolu news agency said. Before they left, the pirates disabled most of the ship’s systems, leaving only the navigation system for the remaining crew members to find their way to port, according to reports. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has twice spoken to the senior officer remaining on the ship, the Turkish presidency said in… Read full this story
- 50 Nigerian soldiers killed in deadly Boko Haram ambush
- South African retail giant ShopRite says it may sell 'all or a majority stake' in Nigeria business
- Niger security forces repel attack on prison holding militants
- Nigeria's president rebukes security chiefs over worsening violence
- Russians Are Using African Troll Factories—and Encrypted Messaging—to Attack the U.S.
- True Position on Investment in Nigeria and challenges faced from LADOL
- Jihadists kill 14 in Nigeria-Cameroon border over ‘blockade’
- ISIS launched more than 100 attacks in Iraq in August, a sharp uptick from previous month
- Sea of Thieves adding battles against wraith-spewing ghost ships in next week's update
- Nigerian Senator: Boko Haram Massacred 75 Elders in My Hometown, I Can’t Go Home
West Africa: Pirates launch deadly attack on Turkish ship off Nigeria have 320 words, post on www.dw.com at January 24, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.