High on a flyer of FBI suspects in Wednesday’s attack on the Capitol building is a picture of a shouting man in a cap with a yellow insignia. Though the FBI doesn’t name him, his identity is no mystery: he’s Jon Schaffer, guitarist in Ice Earth, according to the metal band, which has condemned his alleged actions at the Capitol. But more striking than the appearance of a semi-well known musician at the Capitol putsch was the hat he wore. The baseball cap bore the logo for the Oath Keepers, a paramilitary group that cloaks itself in patriotic rhetoric and openly recruits law enforcement. With connections to politicians and police, the Oath Keepers spent the months ahead of the Jan. 6 riot promoting civil war. And unlike other far-right groups like the Proud Boys, they often manage to avoid outright condemnation from authorities. Schaffer, 52, is wanted by the FBI and could not be reached for comment on whether he is an official Oath Keepers member. It is also unclear whether other members of the group entered the Capitol. Their leadership, however, was spotted on the Capitol grounds during the attack, and video footage, social media posts, and calls to… Read full this story
- The Far Right Is Stirring Up Violence at Seattle’s Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone
- Hero Black Lives Matter supporter reveals the moment he carried white 'far-right' protester 'whose life was in danger' to safety - as he declares 'it's not black versus white, it is everyone versus the racists'
- Germany: AfD's embattled far-right former state leader Andreas Kalbitz steps down
- German lawyer tried for fabricating victim of far-right attack
- Italy far-right clash briefly with cops during day of demos
- Volkswagen wants name hidden for far-right AfD meeting
- US protests leave one dead amid clashes with police and militia on the streets
- Congressman with Covid says it's 'terrible' Capitol Hill has no testing program
- What Is There to Say About the Baltimore Riots?
- What you need to know about the NSU – Germany's right-wing terror group
This Far-Right Militia Went All-In Before the Capitol Riot have 331 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at January 12, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.