SENIOR doctors have called for the gap between doses of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine to be halved to six weeks. Dr Chaand Nagpaul, British Medical Association council chairman, warned that “no other nation” had adopted the UK’s policy of giving doses of the jab twelve weeks apart. 😷 Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates The government maintains that leaving a long gap between doses will not result in a sharp drop in the efficacy of the Pfizer jab, and allows vaccination to be ramped up quickly. But a group of medics from the BMA last night wrote to Professor Chris Whitty, England’s Chief Medical Officer, calling for an urgent review into the government’s position. They wrote: “The UK’s strategy has become increasingly isolated from many other countries.“BMA members are also concerned that, given the unpredictability of supplies, there may not be any guarantees that second doses of the Pfizer vaccine will be available in 12 weeks time.” Speaking to BBC Breakfast this morning, Dr Nagpaul also highlighted new analysis from the World Health Organisation (WHO) which said that second doses of the Pfizer jab should only be delayed “in exceptional circumstances”. He said: “Most nations… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson to warn UK: tougher lockdown may be necessary
- Things will get worse before they get better, warns UK PM on COVID-19
- Coronavirus: Pupil diagnosed with COVID-19 as number of UK cases rises to 39
- Coronavirus: Health Secretary Matt Hancock reveals he's 'lost people' to COVID-19 as he warns outdoor exercise could be banned
- Coronavirus update: Spain and UK suffer record daily tolls, Russia's Putin met doctor who has COVID-19
- Hundreds of Pakistani doctors affected by COVID-19 in UK
- Younger coronavirus victims who were previously fit and healthy will be treated at London's NHS Nightingale while sicker patients more likely to die are cared for at normal hospitals, senior doctors reveal
- Love Island's Dr Alex warns UK could be put under curfew if people ignore lockdown
- UK doctor issues warning on UK testing after testing positive to coronavirus COVID-19, says 'everyone needs their own thermometer'
- Coronavirus LIVE updates: UK patient will die 'every five minutes' during COVID-19 peak
Senior doctors call for gap between Pfizer Covid jabs to be HALVED to six weeks and warn ‘UK is on its own’ have 359 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 23, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.