Queen ELizabeth II: Brithday coin dubbed ‘pointless’ and a ‘waste of public funds’ (Image: GETTY/PA)
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Critics of the coin have called it “pointless” and a “waste of public money.” The £5 coin references the Queen ‘s first Christmas speech, featuring her words “my heart and my devotion”.
Twitter users responded to the new coin, many with derision.
One asked: “How much is this costing the public?”
“Waste of public funds,” another said.
However, the coin was not created using any public money from the Queen’s purse. Royal Mint confirmed in a statement: “The Royal Mint has celebrated Royal milestones for hundreds of years, and will mark the Queen’s 95th birthday with a special £5 coin. The cost of designing and making the coin is funded through our own commercial activity.”
Many pointed out that a coin seems an antiquated commemorative item when most people use digital currecy predominantly.
Queen ELizabeth II: One asked: “How much is this costing the public?” (Image: PA)
Queen's coronavirus speech discussed by experts
“Really? Seems pointless when we mostly use digital funds,” one said.
“Absolutely pointless,” another wrote, when one more said: “Yeah, cos people use coins more there days.” [sic]
Some seemed simply unenthused at the idea entirely.
“Excuse me for not getting exited,” one wrote.
DON’T MISS Prince Philip’s ‘strongest public displays of genuine flirting’ [INSIGHT] Queen removes photo of Kate and William during Christmas speech [SHOCK] Kate Middleton’s Christmas prresent for the Queen [REVELATION]
Another said, quite bluntly: “Who bl**** cares?”
But not all were so negative. One said: “Well deserved. Amazing lady.”
“It’s tempting to look for one…(I’m in the US so..),” another said.
“How can I get one?” another asked.
Queen ELizabeth II: Critics of the coin have called it “pointless” (Image: GETTY)
Clare Maclennan, of the consumer division at The Royal Mint, said: “This year’s annual set is particularly special for The Royal Mint as we celebrate one of the biggest milestones in our 1,100-year history – the anniversary of decimalisation.
“This was one of the largest and most intensive public awareness campaigns ever staged by the government and introduced the coins that we know today.
“Decimalisation was the birth of modern coin collecting and it is fitting that the anniversary has been celebrated on a 50 pence, which is Britain’s most loved coin.”
The collection includes a number of coins commemorating other anniversaries.
Royal Family news: The British Royal Family tree (Image: EXPRESS.CO.UK)
They are the 250th anniversary of novelist Sir Walter Scott and another literary anniversary, the 75th anniversary of the death of science fiction write HG Wells.
Royal Mint also launched new Winnie the Pooh 50p coins .
Christopher was the son of A.A. Milne and the inspiration behind the characters in his father’s book series, Winnie the Pooh.
As well as being a much-loved children’s book series, many will know Winnie the Pooh from its film depictions by Disney.
- 'I very much enjoyed meeting Captain Tom, my thoughts are with his family': Queen leads Britain in grief as she personally honours NHS hero - as Archbishop of Canterbury says 'where he walked, a nation followed'
- Robinhood starts SELLING users' shares without permission: Trading platform is hit with massive class-action after restricting trades on stocks including GameStop, Nokia, AMC and Blackberry
- Captain Sir Tom Moore dead: Queen leads tributes after NHS hero, 100, dies
- ‘I slapped her but I’m not sorry’: JK Rowling's ex-husband says there was 'no domestic or sexual violence' in their marriage but ADMITS he did 'slap' her - as he breaks silence over her revelations amid 'transphobia' row
- I’m a social media manager. Facebook and Twitter have made my job an ethical nightmare
- Queen personally honours passing of Captain Sir Tom Moore aged 100: War hero who won nation's hearts by walking around his garden to raise £33million for the NHS has died after Covid battle as Boris Johnson pays tribute to 'beacon of hope'
- He's no Captain Tom! Chris Whitty says youth who harangued him in street should grow up to be like fund-raising hero 'who much more exemplifies the spirit of the UK'
- We cannot afford to fund 'dementia tax' proposals, councils warn
- Biden received more money from teachers unions and their employees than any candidate in 2020
- Twitter Thread: Bella Thorne 'Ruined OnlyFans' the Same Way Robinhood is Blocking Stock Purchases
- How 300,000 Brits are hooked on gambling while firms rake in £14.3billion a year - as it emerges Scarlett Moffatt's mother 'took of tens of thousands from her to fund her habit'
- How minnows sank the Wall Street sharks: It's the most astonishing financial story for years - the army of small investors who took sweet revenge on cynical hedge fund millionaires, writes TOM LEONARD
- How to become a savings legend in your lunch hour when you are working from home
- 'Read the standing orders, LEARN THEM!': Internet explodes in memes as Handforth Parish Council members are likened to Conan the Barbarian and Gandalf after fiery Zoom meeting was watched by 2m people across globe
- Let's put up a statue to Captain Tom: Matt Hancock says war hero has a 'place in history' and should be permanently honoured for £33m NHS fundraising efforts amid calls Trafalgar Square monument
- Revealed: The real reason behind THAT explosive Handforth Parish Council row - as its star Jackie Weaver admits she DIDN'T have authority (and it's not the first time things have kicked off)
- Bishop of London launches probe into woke warrior clergyman who called Clap for Capt Tom a 'white British nationalist cult' as thousands sign petition to remove him and it emerges he called PM an 'oppressor' and blasted 'ignorant' white Christian men
- EXCLUSIVE: Meet Roaring Kitty - the stock picking wizard who sparked buying frenzy by tipping GameStop shares on Reddit: Boston suburban dad with $650,000 home emerges as the man who cost Wall Street billions
- The Great Wall of Chocolate: 100ft line of EASTER EGGS is used as a barrier to stop customers reaching 'non-essential' clothing at Tesco in Dublin - as shopper in Wales is allowed to buy 'essential' printer paper... but not INK
- Come on Jeremy, where's your Christmas cheer! Corbyn has a face like thunder as he slams car door, blanks beaming Boris Johnson and scowls as MPs rib him during a VERY bad day at the office
Queen did not fund birthday coin dubbed 'waste of public money' by angry Twitter users have 1221 words, post on www.express.co.uk at January 5, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.