President Joe Biden starts his first full day in office pledging to unify the country and heal divisions after four turbulent years.America’s new leader, the country’s 46th president, is a seasoned political operator but the challenges he faces are legion.Taming the pandemic, dealing with the economic carnage it has reaped and calming a raging political crisis will be the focus of his immediate attention.Any one of those problems in isolation would require huge amounts of energy and Herculean resolve – he has inherited all three at once.The truth is America is at a crossroads and President Biden must somehow take the right route and lead a disunited, fearful country, shaken by insurrection and ill at ease with itself, to a safer political ground. Advertisement It will not be easy. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player A new generation greets Biden with poetry Huge numbers of people still believe the conspiracy theories peddled by Donald Trump and others that the election was stolen. More from Joe Biden Is Joe Biden woke? Boris Johnson says there’s ‘nothing wrong’ if he is In pictures: Joe Biden’s inauguration as US president Who is Amanda Gorman – the young poet who… Read full this story
- Biden stays out front despite standout debate from Harris: Poll
- White House's former top Russia adviser to testify on final day of scheduled impeachment hearings after Donald Trump's EU ambassador Gordon Sondland's day of bombshells including saying there WAS a quid pro quo
- Key Republicans say Biden can break Washington gridlock
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: The state of play in South Carolina, 100 days out from the primary
- While leading nationally, Joe Biden faces headwinds in Iowa
- 'I thought he was going to kiss me on the mouth!' Biden is hit by ANOTHER claim of inappropriate touching when he was vice president as he fights back with attack on Creepy Uncle Joe memes as 'misleading'
- Biden's tough talk on desegregation in 1970s could face new scrutiny
- Sondland testimony looms over impeachment hearings this week
- A snapshot from Wisconsin highlights Democrats' challenges on impeachment
- 2020 Watch: Big tests loom for late entries and top tier
President Biden: Herculean challenges of COVID, the economy and division loom on his first day in office have 355 words, post on news.sky.com at January 21, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.