Rosie Duffield quizzes Boris Johnson in PMQs during lockdown
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Rosie Duffield said her colleagues "haven't given up" on membership of the bloc and would eventually "try and shift the leadership". The former shadow minister said she represents the "liberal elite" and warned leader Sir Keir Starmer not to dismiss their views. Most of the shadow frontbench voted for the Brexit trade deal "with a very heavy heart and they haven't given up either", she admitted.
"We will try and shift the leadership, as and when it needs to shift towards rejoining I would imagine," Ms Duffield told the HuffPost.
"Possibly we might even have a different sort of set up, a different leader by then, who knows.
"We're not talking in the next five years realistically."
Ms Duffied revealed remainers are already regrouping and have started plotting to rejoin.
"All the groups I was involved with are already calling themselves rejoiners and are starting to think about that," she said.
Rosie Duffield says her colleagues ‘haven’t given up on membership of the EU’ (Image: Gov.UK)
"I think maybe it's a little bit too soon but we might as well start to build a movement and look at that."
Sir Keir ordered his party to back Boris Johnson's free trade deal with the EU last month.
But three frontbenchers quit in protest and a total of 36 Labour MPs abstained in the vote.
The Labour leader was in charge of the party's Brexit policy under Jeremy Corbyn but now insists that the "remain/leave argument is over" and he will not seek major changes in the UK's relationship with the EU in the future.
Shadow Cabinet minister Rachel Reeves said the relationship with Brussels will be close but Labour would not rejoin the bloc.
Miss Duffield warned Sir Keir Starmer not to dismiss her views (Image: Getty )
But Conservative MP Andrew Bridgen said it is clear there is a "danger" that Brexit would be reversed under a Labour government.
"People should bear that in mind every time they go to vote," he said.
"Labour would laugh in the face of democracy.
"Any MP who does not think that we can pass better laws for the UK in Westminster than they can in Brussels does not deserve a seat in our Parliament.
"They are the self-proclaimed liberal elite who think they know better than the people and Keir Starmer was the architect of their Remain policy."
- 'Get a left-winger on the ballot' Owen Jones sparks fury with rant at Keir Starmer
- Keir Starmer sparks fury by trashing Rishi Sunak's G7 tax win: 'You flip-flopped on this!'
- ‘Small minded!’ EU sparks fury over ‘attack’ on UK TV as British shows slashed
- 'Packed with cronies fuelling distrust!' Lord sparks fury after demand for 'MORE members'
- 'Out of touch!' Drakeford sparks fury after backing Union Flag ban with attack on Tories
- Brexit: They didn't like that! Frost's showdown mind games spark furious Irish attack
- George Soros Bet Big on Liberal Democracy. Now He Fears He Is Losing.
- Brexit LIVE: EU powergrab begins as French CEO pulls UK operation - gloats at 'new trend'
- Victory! Boris rejoices as 'swift' Navy action thwarts French fishing threat
- Brexit anniversary: 5 years on what do you think? Leave your message for Boris HERE
- Brexit: UK ‘was right’ to leave!’ Investors flock to Britain defying Project Fear
- 'It wasn't the bacon sandwich!' Ed Miliband recaps on Labour's election defeat
- Belgium to sue France for getting in the way of its massive post-Brexit project with UK
- Labour's woes are just the tip of the iceberg – social democracy is in peril across Europe
- Sefcovic draws red line in 'massive' dispute with UK covering 20 topics – Brexit latest
- Brexit Party SURGE: Farage’s party shows ‘Parliament doesn’t represent us’ says Dewberry
- Brexit rebellion: Patriotic London traders quit jobs rather than face relocation to EU
- Brexit Britain is a nimble ‘speedboat’ racing ahead of the EU ‘tanker’ on Covid vaccinations, Brussels boss admits
- Brexit LIVE: We warned you! European businesses tied up over new rules after UK split
- Brexit LIVE: UK plans major change after reminding EU who's in charge - 'Chilling effect'
'Labour laughing in face of democracy' Brexit reversal threat sparks fury have 828 words, post on www.express.co.uk at January 8, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.