A 16-year-old Singaporean boy, a Protestant Christian of Indian ethnicity, was detained last month under the Internal Security Act (ISA) after planning to use a machete to attack Muslims at two mosques in March, on the anniversary of New Zealand’s Christchurch attacks.The teenager, who was not named, is the youngest person to be dealt with under the ISA for terrorism-related activities, the Internal Security Department (ISD) said in a media release on Wednesday.He is the first detainee in the city-state to be inspired by far-right extremist ideology, the Channel News Asia reported, citing the ISD release.The ISD stated that the teen was influenced by the 2019 terror attacks at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand in which 51 people were killed. The teen had planned to carry out his attacks on March 15 this year, on the anniversary of the Christchurch attacks.“He was self-radicalised, motivated by a strong antipathy towards Islam and a fascination with violence,” the ISD said.He watched the livestream video of the terrorist attack on the two mosques in Christchurch on March 15, 2019, and read the manifesto of the attacker, Brenton Tarrant, a white supremacist, it said.“He had also watched Islamic State in Iraq and Syria… Read full this story
- EXCLUSIVE! Were Malegaon blasts executed by hired Muslim youth?
- Foundation stone for mosque in Ayodhya’s Dannipur village to be laid on R-Day
- First look of futuristic Ayodhya mosque and hospital
- Muslim body plans mosque, hospital, cultural centre in Ayodhya
- Foundation stone for Ayodhya mosque to be laid on R-Day
- Farmers' Protest: Rahul Gandhi meets president, Priyanka Gandhi detained during protest
- Were the Paris killers on DRUGS? Footage from inside hotel room where they plotted mass murder shows SYRINGES lying among empty pizza boxes and chocolate
- Russia and France wreak revenge on ISIS: Putin orders his warships in Med to work with French Navy as jihadists in Syria are pummelled from the air
- Egypt: Troops committed 'mass unlawful killings', watchdog says – as it happened
- Why politicising the Malegaon case is dangerous
Indian-origin youth in Singapore detained for planning to attack Muslims at two mosques have 329 words, post on www.thehindu.com at January 27, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.