Half of Germans believe the EU has handled the coronavirus vaccine rollout badly , according to a survey released by pollsters Kekst CNC on Wednesday. The poll cited 51% of German respondents saying EU institutions had done a poor job of acquiring jabs, a view shared by 35% of French and 24% of Swedish respondents. German voters say the vaccine rollout has been too slow “In Germany more people now disapprove of the EU than approve of its pandemic response for the first time,” the report said. It also found that 46% believed the German government had handled the rollout poorly. “Responsibility is landing on politicians rather than business,” the survey found. Kekst CNC conducted the poll last month amid a row between Anglo-Swedish pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca and the European Commission. The EU executive has taken up the role of negotiating vaccine contracts. Merkel set to extend lockdown The apparent shift in public mood comes as German Chancellor Angela Merkel is set to meet regional leaders later today to discuss the country’s lockdown strategy. DW obtained a draft plan on Wednesday that said Berlin expected to extend the shutdown until the end of the month. Some “social bubble” regulations will be eased, allowing up to five adults… Read full this story
- China virus toll jumps past 500 as more cases found on cruise ship off Japan
- Coronavirus: Death toll tops 500 — live updates
- 'How are we supposed to get home?': Fury as Foreign Office warns ALL 30,000 Brits in China to LEAVE as death toll hits 427 - but tells them 'find your own way back' and stops repatriation flights
- Coronavirus: G7 countries agree to coordinate response — live updates
- Coronavirus: From bats to pangolins, how do viruses reach us?
- Eight Brits are trapped in quarantine for two weeks in NEW ZEALAND after UK officials told them to 'hitch a lift' out of coronavirus-hit Wuhan on a Kiwi airlift - as Foreign Office warns there will only be ONE more UK repatriation flight
- Three days that saved the euro
- The Stolen Kids of Sarah Lawrence
- Coronavirus: Aberystwyth market trader 'asked to leave'
- Xinhua Headlines: Swift, decisive, transparent, cooperative -- China buying world time in fight against coronavirus epidemic
Germans unhappy with EU's handling of vaccine scheme have 352 words, post on www.dw.com at January 3, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.