Politicians and experts today blasted China for refusing entry to members of a World Health Organization(WHO) team being sent to the country to investigate the origins of the coronavirus pandemic. Number 10 described the move as ‘disappointing’, insisting that it was vital the probe happens. Tory MP and founder of Britain’s China Research Group, Tom Tugendhat, accused Beijing of ‘shameful behaviour’. He said the failure to investigate ‘puts everyone at risk of a repeat, and particularly those who are closest – the Chinese people.’ And Sari Haven, of the Mercator Institute for China Studies think-tank, dismissed the regime’s claim that a ‘visa issue’ led to the team being denied entry. She said: ‘Of course the decoy narrative becomes more difficult to maintain when the WHO team is snooping around.’ Even the WHO’s chief, in a rare critique of the Beijing regime, warned he was ‘very disappointed’, especially given the fact that ‘two members had already begun their journeys’. It comes amid growing suspicions of a cover-up in China, where Covid-19 is thought to have originated at the end of 2019, although its source remains bitterly contested as officials battle to control the narrative. The first cases of the virus that… Read full this story
- China didn't warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days
- Coronavirus latest updates: COVID-19 is 10 times more deadly than swine flu, says WHO
- Coronavirus update: China didn’t warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days
- Former WHO executive and Number 10 advisor reveals four-step 'exit strategy' to ease UK out of lockdown - with small businesses to reopen on April 27 and pubs back in action by May 18
- Why is Covid-19 killing so many more men than women? Experts investigate how attitudes to health, weight, drinking and our immune systems could be factors
- UK is reviewing the evidence on face masks as Number 10 scientist admits Britain would 'definitely' U-turn on its stance if the proof was stronger
- China held off warning of likely coronavirus pandemic for nearly a week, AP investigation finds
- Trump calls decision on reopening US the biggest of his life
- China poses the biggest threat to America and is waging a 'full court blitzkrieg' against us, says Bill Bar in escalating rhetoric aimed at Beijing amid fury at coronavirus 'cover-up'
- White House coronavirus expert Debbie Birx accuses WHO of DELAYING America's crisis response after Donald Trump launched full-frontal attack on 'China-centric' agency and threatened to freeze millions of dollars in funding
Fury as China denies entry to WHO experts investigating origins of Covid pandemic as Number 10 calls decision 'disappointing' amid growing suspicions of a cover-up have 400 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.