How great is the risk of contracting coronavirus outdoors? The chances of becoming infected with the virus are far slimmer outdoors than indoors. This applies to the original coronavirus as well as to its mutants. This is due to aerosols, which are tiny particles floating in the atmosphere, that play a key role in the spread of the virus. Experts say aerosols pose a smaller risk outdoors. “This has to do with air circulation being far more pronounced outdoors,” says Nico Mutters, who heads the Institute for Hygiene and Public Health at Bonn University Hospital. “The winds have a quick diluting effect.” Birgit Wehner, an aerosols researcher at the Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research, says the tiny particles we exhale dry and dissipate far quicker outdoors. However, a paper by the Aerosols Association — signed by Wehner and others — states that infections still cannot be ruled out when individuals gather in large groups without keeping a sufficient distance. This means keeping a safe distance of 1.5 to 2 meters (about 5 to 6.5 feet) from others remains essential, even outdoors. “If we do not keep this distance, looking at each other face-to-face to talk, sing, scream and spit, then we are… Read full this story
- Fact Check Last Night's Vice Presidential Debate With These Roundups
- Google News Will Start Highlighting Fact Check Stories In Results
- Fact Check Hurricane Rumors on FEMA's Website
- This $300 Braven outdoor speaker is just $149
- iPhone 6S Plus's camera takes on iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6: Outdoor photo shootout
- More Than 8,000 Uber And Lyft Drivers Failed New Background Checks In Massachusetts
- Post-Truth, book review: The facts about 'alternative facts'
- How long can Tim Cook avoid taking any risks at Apple?
- HP Discover Interview: Security Evangelist Rafal Los on balancing risk and reward amid consumerization of IT trends
- Diver has close encounter with killer whales, catches it on film
Fact check: The risk of catching coronavirus outdoors have 298 words, post on www.dw.com at January 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.