The Chancellor is reportedly in talks to give six million vulnerable households a one-off £1,000 Universal Credit support grant under plans to scrap a £20-a-week lifeline in April. Sources said the initiative would replace the £1,040 a year Universal Credit increase introduced last year, despite MPs voting to extend the support amid rising Covid infection rates. It’s understood that as many as 6million people could qualify for it, with Rishi Sunak claiming it could help reboot the economy. But what do the payments mean for you – who qualifies and how can you access it? We take a look at the small print as ministers prepare to cut back on Covid support. Will I qualify for the £1,000 payment? It is understood that the payments would replace the extra £20 a week – or £1,040 a year – boost introduced last April to help finance those who had lost their jobs – or income – during the pandemic. It would be available to benefit claimants – mainly those facing a financial crisis, such as unemployed or unable to cover essential expenses. Is it better than the extra £20 a week allowance? Universal Credit was raised by £1,040 for the 2020/21… Read full this story
- Wigan braced for controversial changes to Universal Credit payments
- The impact on Universal Credit payments as children get older
- Chancellor under pressure to increase funding for universal credit
- More people in Buxton and Matlock able to claim Universal Credit
- Bridget Phillipson MP: Universal Credit is not a ‘better deal’ for my constituents in Sunderland and Houghton
- 'I was trained to get Universal Credit claimants off the phone'
- This is when Universal Credit, Child Benefit and Tax Credit will be paid over Easter 2019 in Hartlepool
- Leeds and Sheffield braces for next Universal Credit roll-out
- Universal credit and the Tories’ stumbling welfare reforms
- Around one in three Universal Credit claimants in Sunderland are in employment
Everything you need to know about Rishi Sunak's £1,000 one-off Universal Credit payment have 295 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at January 25, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.