Joe Biden has torpedoed Donald Trump’s attempt to lift the Covid travel ban on non-US citizens flying from Britain, announcing instead that he will strengthen border controls as he enters office. President Trump signed an order on Monday to rescind the curbs imposed in mid-March in one of his last acts before he is succeeded by President-elect Biden on Wednesday. Covid-19 entry restrictions have barred nearly all non-US citizens who within the last 14 days have been in the UK, Ireland and the 26 countries of the EU Schengen area that allow travel across open borders. But the President’s bid to open up Anglo-US travel and boost the aviation industry was thwarted by President-elect Biden’s spokeswoman on Monday just minutes after Reuters news agency broke the news. Incoming White House press secretary Jen Psaki tweeted: ’With the pandemic worsening, and more contagious variants emerging around the world, this is not the time to be lifting restrictions on international travel. ‘On the advice of our medical team, the Administration does not intend to lift these restrictions on 1/26. In fact, we plan to strengthen public health measures around international travel in order to further mitigate the spread of Covid-19.’ Joe Biden last… Read full this story
- Donald Trump leaves London to meet Theresa May at Sandhurst after explosive Brexit interview
- When will Donald Trump come to the UK and what’s the difference between a state visit and a working visit?
- When is Donald Trump’s UK visit, what’s he said about coming to Britain and will it be a state visit?
- Donald Trump brands CNN reporter a ‘rude, terrible person’ in fiery press conference as President takes credit for Midterms ‘victory’
- In Pennsylvania, Joe Biden Finds Support Where He Most Needs It
- Donald Trump Responds To Supreme Court's Travel Ban Ruling
- Donald Trump hails Kim Jong-un as a ‘great leader’ with a ‘tremendous future’ as they share white-knuckle handshake at second summit
- Joe Biden says he is fighting for ‘soul of the nation’ in White House race
- Can Joe Biden's electability argument help him hang on in Iowa?
- Joe Biden Announces 2020 Run for President
Donald Trump promises to lift flight restrictions for travellers from the UK next week – but it takes Joe Biden just minutes to say: 'It ain't happening' have 350 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 19, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.