AstraZeneca’s chief executive has hit back at the EU by saying that “glitches” in the supply of coronavirus vaccines to the bloc are due to it signing its contract three months after the UK.In an interview with Italian newspaper La Repubblica, Pascal Soriot admitted there had been “teething problems” in various regions, including Europe and the UK.He said: “But the UK contract was signed three months before the European vaccine deal, so with the UK we have had an extra three months to fix all the glitches we experienced.”As for Europe, we are three months behind in fixing those glitches.”Mr Soriot said that the UK’s target of vaccinating the top four priority groups by mid-February will be possible. Advertisement He said: “By March, the UK will have vaccinated maybe 28 or 30 million people.”The prime minister has a goal to vaccinate 15 million people by mid-February, and they’re already at 6.5 million. So they will get there.” More from Covid-19 Home secretary expected to announce mandatory hotel quarantine for some travellers COVID-19: Labour call for slimmed-down ‘wartime juries’ to clear backlog of crown court cases COVID- 19: Boris Johnson has promised one – but an inquiry might not be a… Read full this story
- Brexit: UK given until end of 2020 to change its mind on leaving single market and customs union, says EU
- Brexit: Japan says trade deal with EU is a greater priority than deal with UK
- Goldman Sachs boss says Brexit foresight could have changed plans for new UK HQ
- Caretaker boss Klug says skipper Chambers will help him deal with senior players
- STV boss says station cuts 'necessary'
- Barclays boss says hard Brexit could be disaster for banks
- Ditch trade deal with Trump rather than accept chlorinated chicken, Britons say
- Brexit: What happens if UK leaves the EU with no deal?
- Brexit deal should be judged a failure if businesses face ‘additional costs’ for EU trading, MPs warn
- My Brexit plan will work for Northern Ireland says PM in key Belfast speech
COVID-19: AstraZeneca boss says EU vaccine supply 'glitches' are because it signed deal 3 months after UK have 329 words, post on news.sky.com at January 27, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.