Ghana on Wednesday became the first country to receive vaccines through the COVAX initiative with a delivery of 600,000 doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab. The shipment is part of a first wave of free deliveries headed to dozens of low- and middle-income countries under COVAX, a UN-backed scheme that aims to ensure fair access to COVID-19 vaccines . Immunization campaign to start next week The shots, which were produced by the Serum Institute of India, will be used by Ghana to launch a vaccination drive on March 2. “The first segment of the population that will receive the 600,000 doses will be health workers, adults 60 years and over, people with underlying health conditions,” the government said. The West African country of 30 million people has recorded more than 80,700 coronavirus cases and 584 deaths since the start of the pandemic, according to the local health authority. Watch video 02:46 Share COVAX vaccine program struggles Send Facebook Twitter reddit EMail Facebook Messenger Web Whatsapp Web Telegram linkedin Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3pa0F COVAX program to vaccinate poorer countries struggles First delivery hailed as ‘momentous occasion’ In a joint statement, Ghana representatives from the World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF described the arrival of the… Read full this story
- Coronavirus: Rich countries hoarding COVID vaccines, campaigners warn
- Coronavirus digest: Trump orders priority vaccine access for US
- Coronavirus digest: Britain names COVID vaccine minister
- Rich Countries Hoarding COVID Vaccines 'Means Poor People Will Miss Out'
- Coronavirus digest: Expect squabbles over vaccine distribution, warns German health minister
- UK takes 'huge step forward' in coronavirus fight as 'V-Day' vaccine rolled out today
- COVID-19 vaccine: 90-year-old woman becomes first to receive Pfizer vaccine in the UK
- Coronavirus: Russia rolls out COVID vaccination in Moscow
- COVID Vaccine: Santa Clara County To Receive Moderna Vaccine In Addition To Pfizer
- Coronavirus: UK approves Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, to roll out next week
Coronavirus: Ghana becomes first country to receive COVAX vaccines have 297 words, post on www.dw.com at January 24, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.