Berlin’s Vivantes Humboldt Hospital is no longer admitting patients after several infections with the new, more infectious British coronavirus variant were discovered there. Routine screenings in the ward for internal medicine and cardiology have revealed positive test results in 14 people so far, the hospital confirmed on Saturday. The new strain of the coronavirus that emerged in Britain is more transmissible and potentially also more deadly than the previously prevalent one, according to experts. The admissions ban imposed since midnight is in effect until further notice. Emergency cases are being taken to other hospitals. Hospital staff are under so-called shuttle quarantine, meaning they are only allowed to travel between their homes and the hospital. Vaccines update Severe reaction to Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine is “rare,” US health authorities have found, with only 10 cases of anaphylactic shock among a reported 4,041,396 first doses administered between December 21 and January 10. Based on this early monitoring, anaphylaxis after receipt of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine appears to be a rare event,” the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a report. The numbers represent 2.5 cases of anaphylactic shock per one million Moderna injections, compared with 11.1 cases per one million BioNTech-Pfizer injections,… Read full this story
- Coronavirus digest: Multiple German cities exceed COVID-19 threshold
- Coronavirus digest: Mexico reaches 100,000 COVID deaths
- German hospital ICU admissions reach record levels during second wave and surgeons are forced to cancel operations after months of taking in covid patients from other countries
- Coronavirus digest: Over 200,000 virus deaths in Europe
- Coronavirus digest: EU agrees vaccine deal with Moderna
- Number of coronavirus patients in hospital is HIGHER now than lockdown in March, warns NHS chief
- Coronavirus digest: US braces for Thanksgiving surge
- Coronavirus digest: Germany passes 1 million cases
- Up to 20% of hospital patients with Covid-19 caught it at hospital
- Coronavirus digest: Anthony Fauci calls White House event 'superspreader'
Coronavirus digest: Berlin hospital halts admissions over COVID variant have 296 words, post on www.dw.com at January 23, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.