CONOR MCGREGOR suffered a devastating defeat in his long-awaited return to the UFC’s lightweight division this morning, a loss which has all but ended his hopes of a rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov. The Notorious returned to the weight class he once ruled in the early hours of the morning for a rematch with Dustin Poirier, which headlined UFC 257 in Abu Dhabi. But the UFC’s first simultaneous two-weight world champion was given a rude welcome back to the division by the former interim king, suffering a second-round TKO loss. McGregor, 32, came out aggressive early, landing two big left hands flush on the chin of his old featherweight rival. Poirier took them well, though, and responded with two leg kicks before dipping levels and landing a beautiful double leg takedown. McGregor managed to work his way back up to his feet and then forced Poirier up against the fence, where he landed two big shoulder strikes in the clinch.Eventually, they separated and McGregor went to work, landing another straight left before stunning Poirier with a shovel right hook. Poirier soon reversed position and began to work the former double champ with a prolonged single-leg takedown attempt. McGregor defended well and… Read full this story
- Conor McGregor drops to 10th in UFC P4P rankings after retiring with fierce rival Khabib still second to Jon Jones
- Conor McGregor could fight rival Jorge Masvidal in huge UFC clash… but how do two legends compare?
- Dana White Hints at Megafight Between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Georges St-Pierre
- Khabib is ‘perfect fighter’, says legend Georges St-Pierre.. but UFC P4P rankings show he’s just second best
- UFC stars forced to turn nocturnal for Fight Island with bouts being held between 4am and 8am to appease US TV audiences
- UFC Fight Island 3: Whittaker vs. Till fight card, date, start time and where to watch
- Figueiredo chokes out Benavidez, claims UFC flyweight title
- Manny Pacquiao branded ‘crazy’ for wanting to fight KO machine Gennady Golovkin and moving up TWO weight classes
- Ringside news LIVE: Joe Joyce beats Michael Wallisch, Darren Till loses to Robert Whittaker, Mike Tyson LATEST
- Floyd Mayweather charging £1,200 for online meet-and-greets amid claims boxing legend has run out of money
Conor McGregor suffers shock KO loss to Dustin Poirier at UFC 257 as career left in tatters and Khabib rematch OFF have 360 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 24, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.