Boris Johnson today declared that schools will not reopen until at least March 8 as he extended lockdown by another three weeks, but tried to quell rising Tory anger by pledging a ‘road map’ out of the crisis. The PM delivered the grim news for millions of children and struggling parents in a statement to the House of Commons this afternoon, saying he knew how ‘frustrated’ they will be. He made clear there is no hope of any lockdown easing until well after the mid-February review date – finally ruling out the idea that some more pupils could return to classrooms after half-term. Currently only the offspring of key workers are in schools, with everyone else remote learning. Mr Johnson said fast progress was being made on vaccinations with doses given to more than 6.8million people – 13 per cent of the adult population – and the NHS is on track to hit the goal of covering the four most vulnerable groups by February 15. The jabs should give them full protection three weeks after that, he insisted. ‘We hope it will therefore be safe to begin the reopening of schools from Monday 8 March,’ the premier said – while… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson BEGGED his brother not to quit: Emotional late-night phone call revealed as Jo Johnson deals the PM a body blow by walking out of Cabinet after 'Stalinist purge' of Remainer rebels
- Speaker John Bercow ‘was on taxpayer-funded visit to Washington’ when he made a speech as part of a plot to 'stop Brexit' by staying on as Speaker - promising MPs WILL get a chance to block No Deal
- The contested centenary of Britain’s ‘calamitous promise’
- Iran taunts Britain by hosting its flag over seized UK tanker: State TV broadcasts new footage of Tehran's forces on the decks of the UK-registered Stena Impero
- How Trump took middle America
Boris Johnson reveals schools won't reopen until at least MARCH 8 as he extends lockdown by another three weeks - but tries to quell mounting Tory anger with pledge of 'road map' out of curbs have 304 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 27, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.