Prisoners doing bird are passing time by counting our feathered friends.
Lags are itching to become twitchers and take part in Chris Packham's Big Garden Birdwatch.
Some can use binoculars to spot great tits, collared doves and magpies.
And thousands have wall charts in their cells to identify which 18 must-see breeds land in a one-hour period each day.
A source said of the RSPB-backed event: "It's unusual but the powers that be will try anything to keep prisoners well behaved."
What is your view? Have your say in the comments section
To keep cons' interest flying high, they were given a list of the rarest birds at UK jails.
Recent sightings included a mistle thrush and curlew at HMP Frankland at Co Durham, and a great spotted woodpecker at HMP Bullingdon, Oxfordshire.
A black redstart was at HMP Isle of Wight, a buzzard at Spring Hill in Bucks, and a European stonechat at The Verne in Dorset.
Bea Finch, of the Ministry of Justice ecology team said: "The sustainability team encourages prisons to be more wildlife-friendly, from planting wild flowers to putting up bird boxes."
Chris Packham to reunite with Michaela Strachan for Really Wild Show reboot
Chris Packham is set to reunite with his co-star Michaela Strachan for an epic The Really Wild Show reboot.
The telly naturalist is planning a reunion with his presenter pal for a revival of the classic kids’ favourite CBBC show.
“There is an appetite for some form of Really Wild Show reunion," he told the Daily Star.
“It remains something Michaela and I are passionate about – and the BBC are keen. It’s been batted backwards and forwards but for the moment the programmes we’re able to make are limited."
The popular programme, which ran between 1986 and 2006, educated young people on the importance of nature.
But the show's reboot may be a while off yet as lockdown rules mean that South Africa-based Michaela can’t currently travel to the UK – so it could be some time before we see the duo reunite on our screens.
Due to the travel restrictions, Michaela is also missing new series of Winterwatch, which kicks off tomorrow.
“We’re hoping by Springwatch the regulations allow Michaela to travel,” Chris explained.
- What time is Springwatch on BBC Two tonight, who’s hosting with Chris Packham and where is this series filmed?
- Winterwatch’s Chris Packham brutally shut down by step-daughter after VERY crude toilet joke
- Eyes wide for the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch – a photo essay
- The 55 best thrillers to watch on Netflix right now
- Boost your mood by turning your garden into a bird haven with our cash-saving tips
- Meghan Markle stuns viewers of America’s Got Talent by sending a personal video message to finalist who spent 36 years in prison after he was wrongly convicted of rape
- A sombre Boris Johnson says he takes 'full responsibility' as UK Covid death toll tops 100,000 with 1,631 new fatalities but new cases drop by TWO THIRDS in three weeks to 20,089
- ‘Penguin Bloom’ review: A spirited film, but with clipped wings
- Batman, Art Heists, Chippendales & Judy Garland’s Slippers: The Podcasts To Watch Out For In 2021
- Flashback: CNN’s Chris Cuomo goofed around with brother, failed to ask governor about NY nursing home deaths
- 'If tomorrow is my last day, it'll be a good one... I'll see everyone I've ever loved': From suicidal war missions to the unlikeliest love story, the inspirational life of national treasure Sir Tom Moore, whose joyous philosophy on life never wavered
- Broadway’s Youngest Turk Takes A Page From Trump’s Twittery Playbook
- Dan Gainor: Trump impeachment thrills left-wing media – ‘Merry Impeachmas!’
- HBO Max: How to watch movies like The Little Things, Justice League Snyder Cut
- PICTURED: Boy, 17, charged with murdering four family members and a pregnant woman as it's revealed he 'chased and shot his 15-year-old brother as he begged for his life' and his father's final words were: 'I'm sorry, I love you'
- Joe Biden uses National Prayer Breakfast to call to confront and defeat 'political extremism and white supremacy' - and Donald Trump is only ex-president not to take part in event
- 'He will live in our hearts forever': Heartbroken parents pay tribute to history teacher who was one of three people stabbed to death in Reading 'terror rampage'
- 'I have fantasies every day about smashing her skull in with a sledgehammer': Disturbing 2009 Marilyn Manson interview resurfaces in which he talks about relationship with Evan Rachel Wood - as she and four others accuse him of abuse
- Bailiffs evict HS2 protesters from camp where Swampy and his pals secretly dug a 100ft tunnel near Euston station - as police arrest three for breaching Covid rules
Bird watching taking off in prison wings as lags love Chris Packham's Birdwatch have 781 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at January 23, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.