Kindly Share This Story:Any doubt that there is a perfect system must have been put to test with the unfortunate fallouts from the United States of America’s 2020 presidential elections. The controversies surrounding the polls was characterised by lengthy electioneering and destruction of polling booths. Others are tedious counting and recounting of votes as well as litigations alleging irregularities and fraud. These controversies had brought into sharp focus the democracy in Nigeria and other developing democracies, particularly in Africa. Nigeria, like many of its peers which gained independence in the 1960s, often look up to the American democracy as a yardstick. On its part, Nigeria is in its 22 years of unbroken democratic practice, dating back to 1999 when the military regime was terminated. During these 22 years, the country had seen a president, Olusegun Obasanjo, completing statutory two terms in office. For the first time in its entire years of nationhood, Nigeria successfully transited from one democratically elected president to another, when President Umaru Yar’Adua replaced Obasanjo in 2007. Also read: US democracy ‘limping on both feet’ ― senior Russian lawmaker The joy of this milestone soon ran into a constitutional dilemma with the death of President Yar’Adua in… Read full this story
- 2020 presidential election closer than it seems (Editorial)
- Election Security a Major Concern for 2020 Presidential Election
- 2020 Presidential Election Calendar
- Larry Pressler: Proverbial ‘lightning’ might strike the 2020 presidential election
- Daenerys Targaryen and the 2020 presidential election
- 2020 presidential election: What you need to know before debates
- Americans say Democrats have health care edge ahead of 2020 presidential election
- Here’s How Facebook’s FTC Fine Will Impact the 2020 Presidential Election
- Opinion: Infrastructure is the key to 2020 presidential election
- Will Joe Biden succeed in the 2020 Presidential election?
2020 US presidential election fiasco: Lessons for Nigeria’s democracy have 277 words, post on www.vanguardngr.com at January 9, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.