Doctor Oz explains top causes of stomach bloating
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Alcohol can cause inflammation in the gut, but some drinks are worse than overs. If you’d still like to enjoy a tipple this season, then here are the best options.
Carla Daunton, Head Distiller from Young Henrys, explained why beer and wine should be omitted from the festivities menu.
“Bloating can be caused from the carbonation in beer being released,” she said.
As for wine, the gut reacts with its “sugars”. However, the distillation process “removed this from the equation”.
Thus, Daunton suggested: “Gin is our friend if you don’t want to feel gassy or bloated.”
The spirit list extends to vodka and tequila too, but don’t be temped to mix them with fizzy pop.
Carbonated drinks contribute to bloating, certified dietician Dr Carrie Wilson.
She explained: “[They] release air as they move through the digestive system, causing a bloated stomach.”
Stomach bloating: Certain alcoholic drinks could be making you bloated (Image: GETTY)
Luckily, all three spirits – gin, vodka and tequila – can be enjoyed on the rocks, meaning alone with ice cubes.
If that really isn’t your thing, using cranberry juice can add a colourful burst of flavour.
Wellness Today support the drinking of cranberry juice to help reduce a “puffy belly”.
Consider a cranberry margarita as your tipple of choice for minimising the risk of a bloated stomach.
DON’T MISS… Hair loss treatment: Three natural oils can promote strong hair growth [TIPS] Do you experience ‘dysphagia' when eating? It could signal lung cancer – what to look for [ADVICE] Do you have ‘finger clubbing’? It could indicate you have lung cancer – what to look for [INSIGHT]
A cranberry margarita
Get into the festive spirit with a red and green cocktail that is easier on the gut than beer or wine.
For this recipe, “lemon-lime soda” (a carbonated beverage) is part of the ingredients list.
However, the quantity of soda is much less than a standard tequila and soda.
Damn Delicious share their cranberry margarita recipe:
- 3/4 cup tequila
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cup lemon-lime soda
- Mint leaves, for garnish
Cranberry margaritas could be a Christmas treat (Image: Getty)
- In a large pitcher, whisk together tequila, cranberry juice and lemon-lime soda.
- Serve over ice, garnished with mint leaves, if desired.
Healthline recommends to “drink water before, during, and after drinking alcohol” to prevent bloating.
This is because drinking water can help prevent the inflammatory effects on the body caused by alcohol.
“If you're feeling bloated while drinking alcohol, switch over to drinking water,” it added.
Filling up on booze isn’t the only way you could end up with a bloated tummy.
Eating too quickly, sucking on hard candy, and tucking into fatty foods can all contribute to that bloated feeling.
After a delicious slap-up feast, Healthline suggests taking a nice walk to help reduce bloating.
What’s your drink of choice this Christmas season? Please comment below.
- 16 best food, drinks to try at Disney California Adventure’s new Festival of Holidays
- 50 best things to do in Indianapolis and around Indiana
- Clinical trial is East Bay sister’s best hope of avoiding double transplant like little brother’s
- Greg Oden descended into alcoholism and bulimia, then fought his way out
- Greg Oden descended into alcoholism, only to fight his way back out
- The 20 Best Songs from
- The Best Things to Do in St. Louis This Weekend, March 15 to 17
- Hangover prevention: How to prevent your next headache
- Super Bowl detox: Healthy food that fights hangovers, gives you energy
- Super Bowl food: Healthy food that fights hangovers
- After the Cocktail Revolution: Five Trends Highlighted at This Year’s San Antonio Cocktail Conference
- 2019 Maine Restaurant Week Diners' Guide
- Colonoscopy and fear of the unknown
- Celery juice will not work miracles, no matter what you read on Goop
- Methanol poisoning: Death by ignorance and taboo
- 3 summer resort towns in Wisconsin worth a visit in winter
- Yankees have a secret weapon when stepping up to the plate
- A fat foodie's Keto journey
- 100 Portland Happy Hours: Southeast
- Letters to the editor: March
Stomach bloating: Best alcoholic drink to enjoy this Christmas to avoid a bloated belly have 793 words, post on www.express.co.uk at December 25, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.