Rangers and Celtic, the dominant Glasgow football clubs, go back a long way in their sectarian hatred. The deep and violent rivalry between the traditionally Protestant Rangers and Celtic’s overwhelmingly Catholic support continues today, with total segregation at clashes between the two sides, known as the “Old Firm”. Born a Protestant in 1947 and raised by Catholics in Glasgow, I had something of a conflicted childhood. Catholic kids had chapel and a separate education, while my birthright decreed I that was sent to Sunday School and got to wear my blue scarf to see “the Gers” at Ibrox Park every fortnight. The Rangers Accordion Band had its practice hall on our tenement block and a pal took me along when I was 10. After a few weeks, I was picking up “the box” quite well, when the bandleader said he wanted a word. “They tell me your mother’s a Catholic, son.” “No, not really,” I said. “The people who are bringing me up are Catholics. I don’t know where my real ma and da are.” “Aye, but your real maw was a Catholic, was she not? So you cannae come back here. We couldnae let you play in the band…. Read full this story
- Heysel disaster: English football's forgotten tragedy?
- Tragedies drive Chelsea boss Avram Grant to fulfil his ambitions
- Strictly Come Dancing 2020: EastEnders wild child Maisie Smith and 2019 ballroom casualty Jamie Laing CONFIRMED alongside stand-up comic Bill Bailey and Invictus Games star JJ Chalmers
- Tributes pour in as celebrities and fans mourn the death of actor Chadwick Boseman
- The ingredients for a successful dance company
- Strictly Come Dancing sign Nadine Coyle’s American NFL ex Jason Bell – and confirm Max George and Caroline Quentin
- Pictured: Hoosier football player Cam Wilson's father, who killed himself after his ex-wife was shot dead in 'possible murder-suicide' - as dead man's sister expresses her anguish that he didn't get help for depression
- Strictly Come Dancing's Karim inspired by best friend Louella after tragic Bestival death
- Who is Max George and who is the Strictly Come Dancing contestant dating?
- #WakandaForever: Internet Devastated Over Death of Marvel Star Chadwick Boseman
'Singing and dancing to their deaths': football’s forgotten tragedy have 349 words, post on www.theguardian.com at December 3, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.