Emergency services have been deployed to a major train derailment near the Scottish town of Stonehaven, 15 km (9 miles) south of the city of Aberdeen. “This is an extremely serious incident,” said Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon. ”I’ve had an initial report from Network Rail and the emergency services and am being kept updated. All my thoughts are with those involved.” Sturgeon said it was a passenger train. A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Emergency services are currently in attendance and the incident is ongoing.” Prime Minister Boris Johnson described it as a “very serious incident.” “I am saddened to learn of the very serious incident in Aberdeenshire and my thoughts are with all of those affected. My thanks to the emergency services at the scene,” he tweeted. Local reports said there had been storms and flash flooding in the area overnight. Stonehaven is located on the transit route linking Aberdeen with the cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh. Major rail accidents are rare in the UK. The last fatal derailment was in 2007. mvb,dr/rt (Reuters, AP)
- Death toll in Danish train crash rises to eight as five women and three men are confirmed to have been killed
- Brand new Azuma bullet train crashes into the back of another engine in a low-speed crash causing chaos for commuters in Yorkshire
- Paddington train crash survivor warns 'rail safety is being pushed down agenda'
- Kevin Hart Is ''Doing Fine'' After Undergoing Back Surgery for Car Crash Injuries
- Mumbai-Gorakhpur Antyodaya Express Derails, No Injuries Reported
- Scotland assistant insists injuries are genuine after casualty list grows ahead of decisive Euro 2020 qualifiers
- The Latest: Army investigating after training jump injuries
- Louisiana Police transfer troopers amid cadet injury reports
- Johnson Puts $18.5Bln Price Tag on Bridge Linking Scotland to Northern Ireland - Reports
- Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford now has 6-week injury, report says
Scotland train crash: 'Serious injuries' reported after derailment have 304 words, post on www.dw.com at December 8, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.