On Saturday, a fire destroyed the roof and interiors of a 249-year-old Catholic church in the state of California in the US. San Gabriel Mission in Los Angeles was undergoing renovation to mark its 250th year. The fire was reported in the wee hours of Saturday morning. The firefighters failed to control the fire from inside the church as the roof began to fall on them. “The roof is completely gone… The fire traversed the wood rapidly. The interior is pretty much destroyed up into the altar area,” said Paul Negrete, the San Gabriel fire captain. The destroyed interior of the church (picture-alliance/K. Birmingham) The cause of the fire is yet to be determined. The interior of the church had items dating back almost 200 years, including handcrafted statues brought from Spain. The altar was brought to the mission in the 1790s from Mexico. San Gabriel Mission was scheduled to reopen next week after being closed for four months owing to the coronavirus pandemic. The church was built in 1771 and made of stone, brick and mortar. It has previously been damaged by earthquakes in 1804, 1812, 1987 and 1994. A controversial past San Gabriel Mission was the fourth church in California to be established by Junipero… Read full this story
- Learn To Achieve Success By Watching A Two-Year Old
- What is a 50 Year Old Truck Driver Going to Do with No Retirement?
- Child Behavior For A Three Year Old
- Turbulent Threes: The Challenges of Living with a Three-Year-Old
- Leadership for the 18 Year Old
- Do Two Year Olds Learn Differently From Adults?
- Tips For Selecting Toys For Your Three-Year-Old
- Magical Gifts for an 8-Year-old's Birthday
- Great Birthday Gifts for Girls Including 14 Year Old Teenage Girls
- What Does a 13 Year Old Know Anyway; Online Think Tanks and Teens Considered
San Gabriel Mission: Fire destroys 249-year-old California church have 294 words, post on www.dw.com at December 7, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.