Pakistani authorities have detained a local journalist known to be a vocal critic of the army in Karachi on Friday. This is the latest in a series of arrests and abductions of journalists who have criticized the government. According to the charges, Bilal Farooqi was involved in spreading hateful content about the country’s army and spreading religious hate. Read more: Matiullah Jan: Critical journalists ‘routinely threatened’ in Pakistan “Through his (social media) posts, Bilal Farooqi defamed the Pakistan Army and anti-state elements used these posts for their vested interests,” said the police report, which added that his online activity also spread religious hatred and incited mutiny against the military. Farooqi’s mobile phone was confiscated during a search of his house. Attacks on dissent Despite Prime Minister Imran Khan asserting that the country has a free media, attacks, abductions and arrests of journalists have become increasingly common, critics say. Last year, at least four people were killed in connection with their reporting. In July, journalist Matiullah Jan was abductedbefore being released hours later. He has also been critical of Pakistan’s government and military, which has resulted in the use of intimidation tactics against him. “I personally have experienced 10 years of harassment… Read full this story
- Pressure on Pakistan to deliver on FATF action plan: Army chief
- Microsoft posts critical configuration patch
- Pakistan Denies Entry to Director of a Journalism Watchdog
- Pakistan denies entry to director of journalism watchdog
- 3 terror camps across LoC destroyed, 6-10 Pak soldiers killed: Army chief Gen Bipin Rawat
- Jammu and Kashmir: Indian Army launches attacks on terrorist camps in POK
- Defence Ministry to decide on Army's Rs 10,000 crore Akash missiles proposal for Pakistan, China border
- India terms Pakistan's move to take diplomats to PoK as 'drama', 'naked propaganda'
- Pakistan warned to ‘stop terror camps’ or India will enter the region to ‘destroy’ them
- Barely-believable whitewash looms over rattled Pakistan
Pakistan: Journalist Bilal Farooqi arrested over posts criticizing army have 315 words, post on www.dw.com at December 9, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.