A huge U.S. study of another COVID-19 vaccine candidate got underway Monday as states continue to roll out supplies of the first shots to a nation eagerly awaiting relief from the catastrophic outbreak. Public health experts say more options, in addition to the two vaccines now being dispensed — one made by Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech, the other by Moderna — are critical to amassing enough shots for the country and the world. The candidate made by Novavax Inc. is the fifth to reach final-stage testing in the United States. Some 30,000 volunteers are needed to prove if the shot — a different kind than its Pfizer and Moderna competitors — really works and is safe. “If you want to have enough vaccine to vaccinate all the people in the U.S. who you’d like to vaccinate — up to 85% or more of the population — you’re going to need more than two companies,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious disease expert, told The Associated Press on Monday. The coronavirus is blamed for about 1.8 million deaths worldwide, including more than 330,000 in the U.S. This has been the deadliest month of the outbreak in the… Read full this story
- British doctor who helped fight Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo says an experimental vaccine proven to be 97% effective 'has changed the path of the killer outbreak'
- Big oil v orcas: Canadians fight pipeline that threatens killer whales on the brink
- 'Dangerous' number of vaccines missed, UN report warns
- IOCL ramping up LPG facility in Northeast India
- Polio: Two out of three strains 'eradicated'
- Millions of Australian adults are unvaccinated and it's increasing disease risk for all of us
- Cox Plate 2019: Runner-by-runner guide and tips
- PetroChina third-quarter profit tumbles on lower oil prices, slowing gas demand
- Transcript| Wipro Limited Q3 FY19 Earnings Conference Call
- Canada election: how Stephen Harper’s fossil fuel gamble may have backfired
More COVID-19 Vaccines in Pipeline as US Effort Ramps Up have 307 words, post on www.voanews.com at December 28, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.