BROOK SABIN/STUFF New Zealand’s tiny towns are home to some of our best hidden gems, from an emerald lake, to cliffs that look like they’re from the moon. It involved a night in the cells, but the summer of ‘61 was still the best summer of Kevin Bateman’s life. Fairly new to the North Island and keen to see the sights, Bateman had talked his flatmate into hitchhiking around with him and things went well from the get-go. “We went up the western side (of the island) and got to Spirits Bay at the top… and came back down the eastern side,” he said. “Life was safe and simple then. We mostly slept on the side of the road and rides were plentiful.” Not so keen to sleep on the side of the road when they arrived in Taupō in the rain, Bateman, who lives in Lower Hutt, knew he’d have to think outside the box. READ MORE:Road trips: Small Kiwi towns you need to visitHow Kiwi celebrities spend their summersWhen the best holidays are the ones where nothing happens “Following what was probably an urban myth, we asked the local cops to put us in the cells for the… Read full this story
- Traveling by Car – The Ultimate Safety Tips List
- Holiday Gift Guide 2013: Diamondback 2013 Men's Edgewood Sport Hybrid Bike With 700c Wheels At $219.99
- Must Carry These: 5 Nutritional Fruits While Travelling
- The Nickel Pincher: How to Have the Best Vacation while Sticking Close to Home
- 8 apps to help you take the stress out of holiday travel
- The Ultimate Guide to Kicking Off Your Most Fun (and Healthiest!) Summer
- How Traveling Can Make You Healthier?
- This Is The Best Time Of Year To Buy New Straighteners And Curling Irons
- The ultimate summer road trip playlist
- My Great American Family Road Trip
Kiwi travellers' best ever summer holidays: 'We slept on the side of the road and rides were plentiful' have 300 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at December 18, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.