JOE Biden has spoken about the investigation into Hunter Biden‘s taxes and Ukraine business dealings, saying his son is the “smartest man I know.”
Hunter confirmed earlier this month that he was the subject of a federal investigation by the DOJ, which has been looking into his tax affairs since 2018 – a probe outgoing Attorney General Bill Barr was aware of.
On December 17, Biden told CBS host Colbert: “We have great confidence in our son I am not concerned about any accusations that have been made against him.
“It used to get to me. I think it’s kind of foul play but – look, it is what it is. And, he’s a grown man, he is the smartest man I know, I mean from a pure intellectual capacity. And as long as he’s good, we’re good.”
Biden assured Colbert that as president, he would be able to breach the party divide – even if members of the Republican Party used the ongoing investigation against him.
“If it benefits the country, yes. I really mean it,” Biden replied when Colbert asked if he could weather “people who’ll be using this as an attack on you.”
The feds are also looking into his transactions with foreigners who may have posed counterintelligence concerns, CNN reported.
While Donald Trump may push for a Justice Department-assigned lawyer to investigate Hunter’s tax affairs, Republican Senators Lindsey Graham and Ron Johnson weighed in on the controversy on Wednesday.
Earlier this week, the president-elect reiterated that he was “confident” his son had done nothing wrong but Graham called “on a special counsel to look at all things Hunter Biden.”
He wanted to establish whether “any crimes were committed” and if any “conflicts” exist for Biden after his son confirmed the investigation earlier this month.
Graham said he wanted to see if there was a “conflict with the Biden administration regarding his business dealings with Ukraine, which is overrun with Russian agents.”
The South Carolina politician also wanted “the activity [Hunter] had with the Chinese government” to be looked into, he said.
Likewise, Chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee Senator Johnson said that he hoped special counsel was “not necessary, but it might be.”
Today, the outgoing president branded this “fake news” and said he had “nothing to do with a federal probe into Hunter Biden’s taxes and foreign deals.”
“I have NOTHING to do with the potential prosecution of Hunter Biden, or the Biden family,” Trump wrote. “It is just more Fake News. Actually, I find it very sad to watch!”
This supposed special counsel would advance the investigation into Biden’s son but it could also create tension and possible showdown with Barr’s replacement Rosen, who was previously the deputy attorney general.
Enraged that Barr didn’t publicly announce the two-year investigation into Hunter before the election, Trump recently told one reporter to “ask me in a couple of weeks” if he planned on firing the attorney general.
The Justice Department does not usually disclose investigations that are in progress although the subjects of those probes can – but Barr allegedly tried to keep the Hunter situation under wraps.
The outgoing president reportedly asked his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani to investigate whether the president has the power to appoint a special counsel himself.
Trump aides have supposed urged him to pressure Rosen to ensure the investigation can’t be easily stopped once Biden takes office on January 20, recent reports suggest.
Most read in News
Mom ‘dumped daughter’s body & dressed up life-size doll to look just like her’
Boy, 16, called 911 while being crushed to death in van and parents now sue
‘Russia hacks Microsoft & infiltrates nuclear weapons’ in ‘grave threat’ to US
Woman’s 34O boobs won’t stop growing & her nipples are bigger than her palm
BONE TO PICK
McDonald’s worker reveals how McRibs are made in ‘nasty’ video
Social worker and wife ‘forced 4 adopted kids to perform sex acts on each other’
A special counsel can be fired only by the attorney general and for specific reasons such as misconduct, dereliction of duty, or conflict of interest under federal regulations and these reasons have to be put in writing.
It would also mean a more drawn out and complex investigation than the current inquiry, which has only focused on the 50-year-old’s taxes.
The younger Biden was asked to hand over documents and information about two dozen entities, including Ukraine gas company Burisma in a subpoena.
- Joe Biden to Appear on ABC’s ‘Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve With Ryan Seacrest’
- Democrats declare victory in BOTH Georgia run-offs and control of the Senate: Jon Ossoff follows Raphael Warnock by claiming triumph as Republicans blame Trump for disaster - and he demands Pence overturn Joe Biden's win today in Congress
- Biden Has Finally Announced His Entire Cabinet. Here’s What You Need To Know
- Now Lev Parnas claims he SAW Trump order the firing of the US ambassador to Ukraine after hearing gossip that she was 'bad-mouthing' him - and implicates ex-Energy Secretary Rick Perry in 'quid pro quo scheme'
- Repairman who handed over Hunter Biden’s laptop sues Twitter for $500m after claiming moderators ‘labeled him a hacker’
- First presidential debate: Fact-checking Trump and Biden on mail ballots, the economy, COVID and more
- Stephen Colbert & Seth Meyers Echo Calls To Remove Trump From Office, Seek Accountability For Violent Storm On U.S. Capitol
- Biden IsTaking Forever To Pick His AG And It’s Making, Well, Everyone Anxious
- Biden should retain these Trump policies to keep America great in 2021
- 'I won't betray my oath': Pence publicly DEFIES Trump's demand to block Biden's confirmation after President declares war on his own 'weak' party at DC rally
- President-Elect Biden Introduces Judge Merrick Garland As Attorney General, Philly Native Vanita Gupta As Associate AG
- Trump supporters storm Congress as Pence and lawmakers run for safety: Mob smashes through police barriers and wall of tear gas to stop Biden's victory being certified - after President told them to march on the Capitol to 'stop the steal'
- Moment Giuliani demands 'trial by combat' in front of thousands of Trump supporters at Save America rally - one hour before they storm Congress to stop Biden confirmation
- How on earth was Congress siege allowed to happen? Dems demand security lapse probe into 'attempted coup' as video shows cops HELPING rioters and posing for selfies
- Computer shop owner sues Twitter over Hunter Biden laptop story
- Liz Peek: 10 New Year’s resolutions for Biden
- Congress Affirms Biden’s Victory, Trump Admits Defeat: Live Updates
- Biden's Legitimacy as President Could be in Doubt if Voter Fraud Probe Is Not Launched, Author Says
- 'I am my mother's son': Harry uses a photo of Diana and vows to 'unleash the power of compassion' with Meghan on new website for foundation that reveals partnerships with Stanford 'centre for altruism research' and 'humane technology' charity
- Congress Set to Return, Certify Biden’s Win Following Mob Siege: Live Updates
Joe Biden addresses Hunter tax and Ukraine probes with Late Show’s Colbert as he praises son as ‘smartest man I know’ have 1302 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 18, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.