Boris Johnson announces Tier 4 restrictions for parts of UK
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Government has confirmed only automatic car washes will be allowed to remain open under the toughest measures, with manual hand car washes closed. The move comes after months of campaigning from the Car Wash Association (CWA) to prevent many "rogue" operators from opening their premises.
The Government's Tier 4 legislation confirms petrol stations and car garages will remain open during the shutdown as these are "essential services".
The government guidance states: "Other businesses and venues are permitted to stay open, following COVID-19 Secure guidelines.
"This includes those providing essential goods and services.
"Petrol stations, automatic (but not manual) car washes, vehicle repair and MOT services, bicycle shops, and taxi and vehicle hire businesses."
READ MORE: Car washes could lead to ‘second wave’
Hand car washes in Tier 4 areas will need to close (Image: Getty)
Automatic car washes can remain open under the highest restrictions (Image: Getty)
Brian Madderson, spokesperson for the CWA, said the group was "heartened" with the clarity offered by the new rules.
He warned hand car washes came with "significant risk" of spreading the virus due to the close contact involved.
"The Car Wash Association are heartened that the UK Government has finally provided much-needed clarity on the operation of car washes during this pandemic.
"Automated Car Washes (rollovers, conveyors and jet washes) which require no staff to interact with customers are able to open whereas all Hand (Manual) car washes which will have significant risk of spreading the virus must close.
DON’T MISS Drivers urged to ‘take steps’ to protect their cars from lockdown damage [INSIGHT] MOT tests have found many cars require extra repair work [ANALYSIS] Driving holiday demand has 'definitely increased' [COMMENT]
"This could be a seminal moment in our campaign with governments to clean up the UK by forcing all HCW to become fully compliant with legislation whether fiscal, labour or environmental.”
He added that from his own checks, mist hand car washes had "rudimentary personal protective equipment if any at all.
He said many did not observe social distancing rules with two or four people sometimes cleaning cars without wearing any gloves or masks.
Mr Madderson added many hand car washes also only accept cash preventing any form of contactless payment.
For those unable to get their car washed by experts, the RAC has issued some vital tips on how drivers can get a professional look from home.
They have urged drivers to think twice about applying a cup full of car shampoo directly into warm water as this can damage your paintwork.
This is because dirt and grit can become trapped in the sponge which can cause havoc once applied back onto your vehicle.
Drivers have been urged to pre-rinse the car with a pressure washer to remove loose dirt from the car.
Millions are waking up under new Tier 4 restrictions (Image: Express)
Vehicle owners should put their preferred car shampoo in one bucket and water in the other using a wash mitt to gently clean the car.
The mitt should then be coated in car shampoo to wash away the remaining dirt from the car before the soap is washed away afterwards.
Millions are waking up in Tier 4 measures this morning as coronavirus cases increase throughout Londion, the South East and East of England.
Areas to be put under the highest measures include Kent, London, Peterborough Hertfordshire, Berkshire and Surrey.
- How three-tier lockdown rules will work - and the areas set to be worst-hit
- Unvaccinated Austrians hit with new nationwide lockdown orders - ‘It is necessary!’
- Mister Car Wash, Inc. (MCW) Q3 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Kay Burley hints she’ll be off air again just two days after return to Sky News after suspension for lockdown rule break
- Hollyoaks Chelsee Healey breaks lockdown rules as she travels 220 miles to see Lauren Goodger’s jailbird ex Jake McLean
- Everything You Need to Know About Obama's New Climate-Change Rules
- Kay Burley returns to Sky News for the first time in six months after being suspended for lockdown rule break
- COVID-19: Austria starts new national lockdown as protests against coronavirus restrictions spread across Europe
- Hunt to find hundreds of passengers over ‘extremely worrying’ new Covid variant
- 'Christmas special for everyone' Hancock hits back at criticism over Eid and Diwali rules
- See You in 2022: Wary New Yorkers Are Delaying Celebrations Again
- Greek Church Rebels, Rejects Government Lockdown Measures
- Hindu Sect Is Accused of Using Forced Labor to Build N.J. Temple
- They Wanted to Foster Their Great-Grandson. Why Did New York Say No?
- London drinkers out for last pints before it enters Tier 3 and pubs are closed
- News digest: After first day in lockdown, many issues remain unanswered
- Police fire 'warning shots' at Netherlands anti-lockdown riot with seven hurt
- Angling handed lifeline as Government allows fishing to continue during lockdown
- Concern over cases at racing events as Victoria records 1,343 new COVID infections
- Austria brings back COVID lockdown amid angry protests across Europe
Hundreds of car washes forced to close today under new Tier 4 lockdown rules have 984 words, post on www.express.co.uk at December 20, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.