Heavy rains triggered flash floods and landslides that killed at least 40 people and displaced thousands in western Nepal, authorities said on Saturday. Twenty people were killed and at least 13 others were missing in the Myagdi district alone, said district administrator Gyan Nath Dhakal. “Rescuers are looking for those who are still missing in Myagdi,” Dhakal said, adding that 50 people had been brought to safety using helicopters. In the neighboring Kaski district, rains and floods killed seven people, while seven others were killed in the Jajarkot district. A man walks in front of the Gaddi Baithak Palace in Kathmandu, Nepal as rains lash the country In the southern plains bordering India, the Koshi river, which causes deadly floods in the Indian state of Bihar almost every year, was flowing above the danger level, police said. Monsoon-induced disasters are common in Nepal owing to the country’s mountainous topography and dozens of big rivers. Since the beginning of the monsoon season in June, scores of people have lost their lives in floods and landslides. The floods in Nepal have put the authorities in Bihar on high alert. Last month, more than a million people were forced to flee their homes in the northeastern… Read full this story
- Flash floods, landslides kill 3 in northern Vietnam
- Massive earthquake in Nepal; 1,500 killed
- Nepal earthquake: why I had to return to a devastated country in crisis
- Five dead as flashfloods, landslides hit northern Vietnam
- Ferocious winds and pouring rain lash New York City threatening widespread power outages in epicenter of coronavirus where medical tents are set up to treat gravely ill patients
- Everest avalanche leaves Sherpas counting dead and considering future
- Floods, mudslides wreak havoc in Elgeyo-Marakwet
- Britain accused of conniving at torture of Maoists in Nepal's civil war
- Dead good! The 80 best true crime shows and podcasts – because there’s never been a better time to play armchair detective...
- 1,500 killed in Nepal quake
Floods and landslides lash Nepal, scores dead have 318 words, post on www.dw.com at December 7, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.