In a year defined by a devastating pandemic, the world lost iconic defenders of civil rights, great athletes and entertainers who helped define their genres. Many of their names hold a prominent place in the collective consciousness — RBG, Kobe, Maradona, Eddie Van Halen, Little Richard, Sean Connery, Alex Trebek, Christo — but pandemic restrictions often limited the public’s ability to mourn their loss in a year that saw more than a million people die from the coronavirus. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg — known as the Notorious RBG to her many admirers — was one of the many noteworthy figures who died in 2020. In a court known for solemn legal proceedings, Ginsburg became a cultural and social media icon whose fierce defense of women’s rights earned her a devoted following. She died in September after 27 years on the country’s highest court. Making few concessions to age and health problems, she showed a steely resilience and became the leader of liberal justices on the court. The world also said goodbye to U.S. Rep. John Lewis, a lion of the civil rights movement who died in July. Other former political figures who died this year include Egyptian… Read full this story
- Charlie Gard’s parents granted extra few days to say ‘final goodbye’ to terminally ill son after heartfelt video plea
- Heartbreaking moment Chinese death row prisoner says his final goodbye to toddler daughter before his execution
- Whistleblower claims 20 people died due to late ambulances
- Whistleblower claims 20 people died where East of England ambulances were late
- Heartbroken mourners say final goodbye to Storm Ophelia victim Michael Pyke as he’s laid to rest in Tipperary
- Teen’s final words as he lay dying in girlfriend’s arms after suffering fatal allergic reaction to chicken korma
- What was the Shoreham Airshow crash disaster, when did it happen, how many people died, and what does the accident report say?
- 'We made memories': Loving sister, 10, spent final 24 hours with her dying baby brother completing bucket list
- Grenfell Tower fire victims – how many people died in the blaze and what is the final death count?
- 'Beautiful Lady in Red': Family's tribute to final one of six people killed in Birmingham car crash named
Final goodbye: Recalling influential people who died in 2020 have 364 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at December 18, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.