GHISLAINE Maxwell has been denied bail by a federal judge for the second time this year.
Maxwell, who is accused of grooming underage girls to be sexually abused by paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein, had her application for bail rejected because she poses a “flight risk”, it was revealed on Monday.
Maxwell, who is being held in a Brooklyn federal jail, has pleaded not guilty in the case.
She has also been charged with perjury for allegedly lying during a deposition for a lawsuit filed by an Epstein accuser.
Judge Alison Nathan ruled the British socialite posed “a serious flight risk”.
The judge considered Maxwell’s wealth, possession of citizenship in multiple countries and the severity of the charges she faces.
They were the same reasons considered by Judge Nathan when Maxwell applied for bail back in July.
“The Court … finds that the Defendant’s proposed bail conditions would not reasonably assure her appearance at future proceedings,” Nathan said in her ruling in Manhattan federal court.
The socialite, who celebrated her 59th birthday behind bars on Christmas Day, asked to be released on a bond of $22.5 million offered up by her spouse of four years Scott Borgerson.
She apparently had further millions pledged by seven relatives and friends, according to a report by CNBC.
She also proposed having armed guards ensure that she remained confined to a New York City residence – and be monitored at all times via an electronic tagging device.
One alleged victim has branded Maxwell a “psychopath” who will flee justice if granted bail, The Times reports.
Maxwell is accused of sexually assaulting 16-year-old Annie Farmer at Epstein’s 7,500-acre ranch in New Mexico.
Ms Farmer, who has waived her right to anonymity, alleged: “She (Maxwell) has lived a life of privilege, abusing her position of power to live beyond the rules.
Most read in News
CASHED IN ON COVID
Pandemic ‘has turned 50 doctors and scientists into BILLIONAIRES’
Girl, 7, ‘fatally shot in back of the head while going to buy Xmas presents’
Trump ‘may pardon himself LIVE at DC rally the day Biden’s win is certified’
HELL ON EARTH
‘Suicidal’ Epstein feared feds wanted him dead as other inmates extorted him
Nashville bomber ‘targeted AT&T over paranoid fears that 5G was killing people’
“She will not hesitate to leave the country irrespective of whether others will be on the hook financially for her actions because she lacks empathy and, therefore, simply does not care about hurting others.
“I believe that she is a psychopath,” the 41-year-old alleged.
Maxwell is due to stand trial next year.
- Ghislaine Maxwell 'attended a secret writers' retreat hosted by Jeff Bezos in 2018 with her tech CEO boyfriend Scott Borgerson'
- Judge denies attempt by Giuliani associate to get off house arrest and GPS monitoring
- Judges imposes gag order in Russian foreign agent case
- Massachusetts woman charged with sexually assaulting boy
- Jason Roy and Liam Plunkett star to help superb England take 2-0 series lead over Australia
- The Junkyard Find Tirades™ of Crabspirits
- After Cherica Adams’ death, Panther Rae Carruth vanished. Here’s how FBI caught him.
- Crunch watch Dec 08: the auto industry in crisis
- James Anderson seals England Oval victory with record-breaking wicket in Alastair Cook's final Test
- Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov fight: The long, winding road to the grudge match at UFC 229
- ‘I’d rip you like a rag doll’: Rae Carruth’s trial unfolds with life-or-death stakes
- The Latest: Florida OKs measure broadening victims’ right
- The Latest: Florida’s US Senate race is too close to call
- The Latest: North Carolina governor visits hard-hit New Bern
- The natural enemy: Serena Williams and the sporting umpire
- ESPN's Josina Anderson on her NFL Insider status, career opportunities, OBJ and more
- James Anderson seals victory, and top pace bowler spot, with the last wicket as England beat India at The Oval
- James Anderson seals England Oval victory, and top pace bowler record, before hugging best mate Alastair Cook
- Does Dollar Rent A Car routinely swindle customers via insurance scam? [w/video]
Epstein ‘pimp’ Ghislaine Maxwell denied bail AGAIN as she’s deemed ‘flight risk’ by judge have 673 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 28, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.