People celebrating on New Year’s Eve will have to comply with coronavirus regional restrictions, with no reprieve like over Christmas, the health secretary has confirmed.Matt Hancock said while he knew it was “frustrating”, the rules are only being relaxed for five days – from 23-27 December – to allow three households to mix socially at home.Concern is growing at another increase in COVID-19 cases in the run up to the festive period, with each area due to have its tier reviewed next Wednesday and heightened speculation London could move into Tier 3. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Hancock tells nation not to ‘blow it now’ With students due to return home from university and families planning to gather with elderly relatives, the added possibility of people partying over New Year’s Eve has led to speculation of a “third spike” and another lockdown.Mr Hancock was quizzed at a Downing Street news conference on Thursday by a member of the public – Kate from Dudley. Advertisement She said New Year’s Eve is “a special time for some people, as much as Christmas”, so asked: “Will we be able to spend it with our close family members?”The health… Read full this story
- 'Boris doesn't NEED Nigel': Allies dismiss talk of Brexit general election pact with Farage as former Tory rival Matt Hancock backs him - and even Gove says he 'has what it takes' to be PM
- 'Pokemon Go' Latest News & Update: Mewtwo May Finally Appear In New Year's Eve! Celebrate Or Hunt?
- $299 PS3 Slim unveiled, existing console prices drop Aug. 19
- 8 things to catch up on this Christmas
- Five things you need to know about Madden 19 franchise mode
- Fortnite Deep Freeze bundle brings Battle Royale to shops in time for Christmas
- Tencent imposes new regulations on streamers in China
- Star Citizen's pace of funding has accelerated, and it's powered by new backers
- The mainstream media's inevitable attack on "addictive" Fortnite has begun
- How a lifelong diet of games influenced The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
COVID-19: Matt Hancock confirms Christmas rules reprieve will not apply to New Year's Eve have 334 words, post on news.sky.com at December 10, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.