BioNTech’s boss has said he is confident the company’s vaccine will be effective against the new coronavirus variant. Ugur Sahin said, however, that more tests were needed before he could be completely sure of the efficacy of the drug. The Pfizer/BioNTech jab is the only vaccine approved for use in the UK so far. It is also being rolled out in the US. Latest coronavirus updates from the UK and around the world Mr Sahin said that the company had “scientific confidence” that the vaccine would be effective, as the new form of COVID-19 shares 99% of the proteins with the previous iterations. Advertisement “The likelihood that our vaccine works… is relatively high,” he added. But he acknowledged more research was needed into the mutation, which is prevalent in London and the southeast of England. More from Covid-19 COVID-19: Ireland ‘not aware’ of any vaccine jabs offer from UK COVID-19: UK hits 30 million first coronavirus vaccine doses – 57% of all adults COVID-19: Holidays abroad ‘unlikely until August’ as ministers consider traffic light travel system COVID-19: Have our leaders got too used to their pandemic powers over the public? COVID-19 tests for foreign lorry drivers staying in England for… Read full this story
- The countries that trust vaccines the least
- Vaccines: Trends, mistrust and consequences
- BBC Devon & Cornwall Live: 19 August 2019
- Moseley boss Balding confident ahead of season opener
- Swans boss Cooper on Birmingham City, transfers and injuries
- Sex crime report rise due to 'public confidence'
- Glenn Driver is new Braintree Town boss
- United boss Solskjaer demands a flying start to new season
- NHS boss: Tax bills could mean 'loss of 60 doctors'
- Live updates as Ford boss tells MPs about Bridgend closure
COVID-19: BioNTech boss confident coronavirus vaccine will work against new variant have 274 words, post on news.sky.com at December 22, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.