BORIS Johnson and Emmanuel Macron locked horns as Brexit talks ground to a halt once again following a week of “intense negotiations”. Sources claim the French president had pressured EU negotiator Michel Barnier to take a hardline approach to talks – while an ally close to Macron said he would veto any trade deal that went against France’s interests. ⚠️ Read our Brexit live blog for the latest news & updates It comes as Brexit trade deal talks ground to a halt over a ‘ridiculous’ EU demand for ten years’ access to UK fishing waters, The Daily Telegraph reports. But UK sources said the French leader did not respect Britain’s independence and was trying to shield his nation’s firms from competition It follows Michel Barnier and Lord Frost agreeing on Friday that there were “significant divergences on the level playing field, governance and fisheries” – meaning the Brexit impasse will rumble on.If an agreement is not reached the end of December, Britain will revert to World Trade Organisation rules – meaning tariffs and increased checks on EU goods. A senior Government source said: “Their new offer was frankly laughable. “They know we can’t possibly accept it. It’s ridiculous. If they think… Read full this story
- Boost for Boris Johnson as ENGLISH judges say PM's Parliament shutdown CANNOT be legally challenged - hours after it was deemed illegal by Scottish court
- Boris Johnson warns Brussels that Britain cannot be 'held against its will' as Ireland mounts all-out bid to kill off his fledgling Brexit blueprint before it has even been formally tabled
- 'You can't hide forever!' Boris Johnson vents fury at 'yellow belly' Jeremy Corbyn after MPs BLOCK his latest bid for snap election - then SHUTS Parliament for five weeks saying he will REFUSE to extend Brexit despite Remainer law
- Boris Johnson says the 'rough shape' of a Brexit deal is emerging as he voices 'cautious optimism' ahead of showdown talks with Jean-Claude Juncker on Monday amid rumours the DUP is prepared to shift its red lines
- Angela Rayner taunts Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage as she claims Labour has nothing to fear from the Tories or the Brexit Party in its Leave-voting heartlands in the north of England
- 'It's just a fairy tale!' Boris Johnson is berated by voter in Doncaster for claiming Brexit will solve UK's problems when 'people are dying because of austerity'
- Boris Johnson and the Tories are at 'greater risk than Labour' of losing votes to Nigel Farage and the Brexit Party on December 12, according to polling guru Sir John Curtice
- Boris Johnson says it is 'Loch Ness Monster, Bermuda Triangle' territory for Labour to claim the NHS is up for sale under his Brexit deal as the PM takes his election campaign to the East Midlands and enjoys a cup of tea with health service staff
- Boris Johnson admits ‘tempers need to come down’ after furious Jo Cox row over MPs’ language – but refuses to stop saying ‘surrender’
- Government lawyers warn Boris Johnson Britain COULD still have to pay the full £39 billion Brexit divorce bill even if it leaves with No Deal
Brexit news: Boris Johnson locked in stand-off with Macron as crunch talks on a knife edge have 514 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 5, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.