What happens next? After a Brexit deal text was finalised, the next step is ratification by both sides – and there is not much time before the end of the transition period on January 1. Next week MPs will need to pass legislation putting the deal on the statute book With Christmas Day tomorrow, this is likely to happen next week. The Commons will be recalled from its festive break and potentially consider all the stages of a Bill in one day.The package is virtually guaranteed to be approved, as Boris Johnson has an 80-strong majority and Labour has indicated it will at least abstain – if not support the deal. Monday? Meanwhile, Brussels will short-cut its own processes, with the EU Council of member states expected to grant ‘provisional’ implementation before the deadline, rather than the European Parliament approving it in advance.This has angered many MEPs, as they will be under massive pressure to sign off the deal if it has already come into effect.January 1The new trade terms – or WTO terms if something has gone wrong with the deal – come into effect. Advertisement Boris Johnson today declared that a Brexit deal has been done after four years of desperate wrangling -… Read full this story
- EU Commission President Says Brussels is Fine With Boris Johnson’s 'No Deal' Brexit Suggestion
- EU says financial relations with UK will be linked to trade deal
- Let’s move on: EU wants to keep big role after Brexit
- EU open to 'unique' trade deal with post-Brexit UK
- Britain, EU split over financial market access
- Britain and EU split over financial market access
- Boris Johnson is spoiling for a fight
- If Boris Johnson misled the Queen, it would be a bad look. Even for him.
- Brexit: Will it be a Canadian or an Australian ending?
- Boris Johnson: First speech as PM in full
Brexit deal is DONE: Boris Johnson SEALS historic Brexit deal with EU as UK claims to have won TWICE as many concessions as Brussels and von der Leyen laments 'parting is such sweet sorrow' have 303 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 24, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.