Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia have closed some of their borders with Italy as their neighbor struggles to control the worst outbreak of coronavirus outside of Asia. The Italian government has placed the entire country on lockdown amid a rising death toll — now 827 people — and more than 12,000 infections of COVID-19. The effects of Italy’s draconian measures are naturally being felt nationwide. But concern is growing for tens of thousands of cross-border workers, who travel between European Union states and are facing entry and exit restrictions that could see them unable to work or return home to their families. “There are many people who work in one place but are really worried to return there because they may get stuck for several weeks or months,” Guntram Wolff, director of the Brussels-based economic think tank Bruegel told DW. Read more: Coronavirus latest: Germany reports fifth death from COVID-19 Coronavirus: Timeline of the global spread of COVID-19 Pneumonia-like virus hits Wuhan On December 31, 2019, China notifies the World Health Organization of a string of respiratory infections in the city of Wuhan, home to some 11 million people. The root virus is unknown and disease experts around the world begin working to identify it. The strain is traced to a… Read full this story
- Austria's Sebastian Kurz wants to use EU border guards in Africa
- Refugee children facing violence at EU borders
- Germany's Angela Merkel backs Austria on stronger EU borders
- In Croatia, EU border guards use 'a little bit of force'
- Animals Aren't Sentient and Can't Feel Pain, Tories Claim
- It's Time to Stop Pretending Fishes Don't Feel Pain
- Visegrad countries urge stronger EU border defense
- Fish Feel Pain: Let's Get Over it and Do Something About It
- Fish Are Sentient and Emotional Beings and Clearly Feel Pain
- "Do fish feel pain?" redux: An interview with the author who shows of course they do
As EU borders are shut, frontier workers feel the pain have 309 words, post on www.dw.com at December 3, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.