South Africa are ready to unleash a new, aggressive brand of cricket on England when the teams start a three-match Twenty20 International series at Newlands on Nov. 27, their coach said on Thursday.
Both sides are in quarantine in Cape Town ahead of the tour, which also includes three One-Day Internationals, but are able to train and will play intra-squad games in preparation.
South Africa coach Mark Boucher says his side is using those to work on a new approach he hopes will reverse a slide in fortunes across all three formats for the side.
“We have started afresh and restructured our values,” Boucher told reporters on Thursday. “It is all based on a performance model. Now is the time we can put it to the test, and who better to test us than the (50-over) world champions England.”
“I am excited and nervous, but I think that is a good thing. A lot of the players are nervous, too.”
Boucher says the new philosophy is about a change in mindset and a more positive approach to the game.
“We want to be nice and aggressive, that is the way the game is going. You can’t be mavericks either, you need to be smart. We are trying to help the batters and bowlers add shots or varieties of balls to their game to help them develop.”
There are two Twenty20 World Cups in the next two years, first in India in Oct-Nov 2021 and then a year later in Australia.
Boucher would still like to have AB de Villiers, who has retired from international cricket, available for those tournaments.
“I have not had a discussion with him since COVID-19. We will see as we get closer to the time of the World Cup. I still believe he is one of the best players in the world.”
- India vs South Africa, Highlights, 3rd T20: India Beat South Africa By 7 Runs, Win T20I Series 2-1
- Time to make South African cricket 'great again' after off-field problems - Faf du Plessis
- Jason Roy Century Sets Up England World Cup Win Over Bangladesh
- England Star James Anderson Vows To Return Before Ashes End
- Should Gareth Southgate be permanent England boss? We look at the debate
- India Will Be Fancying Their Chances In World Test Championship: Virat Kohli
- Australia find stability with unchanged team for New Zealand Test
- Retaining the core 'probably the best way' - Justin Langer on Test selection
- Kirsten set for SA role as cricket crisis unites disparate figures
- Hardik Pandya targets comeback during New Zealand tour
- Everyone had one big game at the World Cup
- Sri Lanka mull playing Test cricket in Pakistan
- World Cup 2019: Jason Roy Eyeing Return To The Playing XI Against Australia
- The Latest: Scotland rebuked by World Rugby
- David Warner breaks silence on lifelong Australian leadership ban
- Highlights, India (IND) vs West Indies (WI): Evin Lewis Powers West Indies To 9-Wicket Win Over India
- India vs West Indies: WI once again winning battle of sixes
- Sundance: Hillary Clinton Docuseries, Lance Armstrong’s Fall From Grace Among Shorts and Special Events
- Sundance: Hillary Clinton, Lance Armstrong Docs Added to Festival Lineup
- Sundance Special Events Lineup Includes Hillary Clinton & Lance Armstrong Docs; Fest Also Sets Indie Episodic, Shorts Lineups
South Africa to test new game-plan against England have 533 words, post on www.rediff.com at November 19, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.