Boris Johnson’s blueprint for a “green industrial revolution” was blasted by unions, campaigners and MPs today. The Prime Minister outlined a £12billion “Ten Point Plan” to tackle climate change, slash carbon emissions to net-zero by 2050 and trigger a jobs bonanza – creating or protecting 250,000 posts. But Downing Street was forced to admit just £3bn of the cash was “brand new investment” – and critics said the 38-page document was comprised largely of reheated announcements. Many of the pledges have been unveiled previously, including in last year’s(2019) general election manifesto, at last month’s Conservative Party conference and as the Government tried to provide some upbeat news over the spring while the country battled the coronavirus crisis. Shadow Business Secretary Ed Miliband said: “The funding in this long-awaited announcement doesn’t remotely meet the scale of what is needed to tackle the unemployment emergency and climate emergency we are facing, and pales in comparison to the tens of billions committed by France and Germany. “Only a fraction of the funding announced today is new. “We don’t need rebadged funding pots and reheated pledges, but an ambitious plan that meets the scale of the task we are facing and, crucially, creates jobs… Read full this story
- Revealed: Boris Johnson 'will sabotage Remainer plot by sending letter requesting Brexit extension to EU as new law requires... then send ANOTHER explaining why they should ignore the first'
- Pound collapses as Boris Johnson unveils plan to force the UK out of Europe
- Barnstorming Boris Johnson vows he WON'T beg for a Brexit extension as he rouses Tory faithful by tearing into Parliament, 'Communist cosmonaut' Jeremy Corbyn and insisting: 'We're leaving the EU on October 31, come what may'
- General Election 2019: The 32,000 votes in 50 key seats Boris Johnson needs to win a majority on December 12
- Andrew Neil can still grill an absent Boris Johnson
- Boris Johnson's girlfriend Carrie Symonds is 'delighted' as Derbyshire badger cull is called off in a move that could save thousands of the animals
- Boris Johnson branded racist for accusing Nigerians of being interested in money
- London attacker plotted to kill Boris Johnson after attending Pak terror camp
- Boris Johnson vows NOT to extend Brexit transition period past December 2020 in move praised by Nigel Farage - as Tories says they can do trade deals with the US, Australia, New Zealand and Japan within three years
- Boris Johnson branded children of single mothers 'ignorant and illegitimate'
Small print details reveal Boris Johnson's green plan isn't much of a 'revolution' have 403 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at November 18, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.