Scotland has become the first nation in the world to make sanitary products available to all who need them following the passing of a landmark legislation in Parliament today. The Bill, which was brought forward by Labour health spokeswoman Monica Lennon, was unanimously approved by MSPs after winning the support of the Scottish Government and the other opposition parties in Holyrood. The move is intended to eliminate period poverty and help households under financial strain in the country. Ms Lennon said the Period Products (Free Provision) (Scotland) Bill was a ‘practical and progressive’ piece of legislation, made all the more vital because of the coronavirus pandemic. The landmark legislation means sanitary products will be available to all who need them in Scotland. (Stock image) The Bill was brought forward by Labour health spokeswoman Monica Lennon (pictured) who was elected to Holyrood in 2016 Nicola Sturgeon said she was ‘proud to vote fo this groundbreaking legislation’ which enabled free period products for all She said: ‘Periods don’t stop for pandemics and the work to improve access to essential tampons, pads and reusables has never been more important.’ The Labour MSP has been working to tackle period poverty since she was elected to Holyrood in… Read full this story
- Scotland's World Cup clash with Japan will go ahead after stadium passes inspection
- Nando's offers free food for GCSE and A-Level students whether they have something to celebrate or need to commiserate on results day
- Scottish Tories launch general election campaign promising voters 'referendum-free period'
- Luxembourg to become first country to make all public transport free
- Rugby World Cup 2019 permutations: What does each team need to do to qualify for the quarter-finals tomorrow?
- Government denies offering free laptops under 'Make in India’
- Saudi Aramco kick-starts what could be world's biggest IPO, offers scant details
- DART to offer free rides to passengers who board with a bike
- Honda Two-Wheelers Offers Free Joy Club Membership To New Customers: All Details & Benefits
- Etsy sellers aren’t happy with the platform pushing them to offer free shipping
Scotland becomes the first country in the world to pass landmark legislation offering free period products to anyone who needs them have 341 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 24, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.