Labrinth may have been involved in Gal Gadot's star-studded Imagine video during lockdown, but even he admits he had second thoughts when he saw it back.
When the coronavirus pandemic first hit, Wonder Woman star Gal decided to enlist the help of some famous faces to create their own rendition of the hit John Lennon track in order to lift people's spirits and offer some hope in an uncertain time.
It saw the likes of Labrinth, James Marsden, Natalie Portman, Mark Ruffalo, Jamie Dornan and Zoe Kravitz all singing a line, but even its stellar cast didn't stop the video from instantly going viral and not for the right reasons.
It was widely mocked, with Ricky Gervais branding it 'awful' and the New York Times teasing the clip was 'no heaven' at all.
Now, Labrinth has got brilliantly honest about the video and admits that his involvement is now a 'pill he's got to swallow'.
In an interview with Esquire , the Jealous singer said: 'I thought they had a plan. When I saw it back I was like, "Oh sh*t."'
'I didn't know I was gonna be around all these cool people, but singing such a terrible version of a legendary song,' Labrinth joked. 'But hey, gotta swallow that pill.'
His comments come after Fifty Shades of Grey star Jamie previously spoke out in defence of Gal following the video's backlash.
'Not being on social media, I wasn't aware of the reaction – but was made aware by mates,' he said during a podcast appearance, where he revealed he had been persuaded to do it by his good friend and Bridesmaids star Kristen Wiig.
'Kristen texted days later saying, "Sorry." [Gal was] trying to do a good thing, I just got dragged along with it.'
Jamie said that he understood why some fans were left upset by the clip, especially as celebs were seen delivering their lines from their lavish homes.
'Quite clearly, some people had escaped to their second home. There's too much acreage in the background, too many beautiful trees swaying in the background, clearly in front of an ocean, that sort of craic,' Jamie said, adding that he purposely chose to film his line from his toilet.
'I was quite aware of that whenever I was doing it, to make it normal.'
Gal, meanwhile, has said that the video was made with 'only good intentions' , as she addressed its critics.
'Sometimes, you know, you try and do a good deed and it's just not the right good deed,' she told Vanity Fair. '
'I can only say that I meant to do something good and pure, and it didn't transcend.'
Got a story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected] , calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to hear from you.
- 'There is a long way to go!' Gal Gadot stuns in goddess gown as she dedicates SeeHer win to victims of sexual harassment at the Critics' Choice Awards
- A real life Wonder Woman! Gal Gadot makes a sophisticated arrival on the Golden Globes red carpet
- The Complete Works: Ranking All 121 Billy Joel Songs
- Can I Get a Hug?
- Imagine Dragons on Trippy New Arena Show, Paul Simon Obsession
- Anthony Head and Colin Morgan Get Medieval with Merlin
- Bruce Springsteen’s Video Archivist Breaks Down Huge New ‘River’ Box Set
- The Definitive Ranking of Every Single
- In the Write
- Every 2017 Summer Movie You Need to See
- Film academy invites record-setting 774 new members- including Betty White, Leslie Jones and The Rock in an effort to diversify
- Radiohead’s ‘OK Computer’: An Oral History
- DC Rebirth
- Every Disney film being released in 2020 from Onward to Mulan
- Glowing! Jessica Chastain stuns in gorgeous green halterneck dress for Critics' Choice Awards in Los Angeles
- THE R. KellyProblem
- Rachel Bloom and the
- Vulture’s 2018 Grammy Predictions
- Comic Book Reviews for This Week: 1/15/2020
- Hillary Clinton Officially Headed To Sundance As Donald Trump’s Impeachment Trial Kicks Off
Labrinth gets real honest about Gal Gadot’s Imagine video and calls it ‘terrible version of a legendary song’ have 754 words, post on metro.co.uk at November 12, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.