It has been 30 years since a young photographer working in Albury-Wodonga walked into the Australian Centre for Photography in Paddington, Sydney and showed the director her 4×5 transparencies of a new photographic series she had been working on. The photographer was Tracey Moffatt and the resulting solo exhibition, Something More 1989 – with its now iconic images confronting race and rural disadvantage – put her on the art world’s international stage. “I remember being so broke that I could barely afford to make the large prints and frame them,” she recalls. That ACP opening, she says, was without doubt her big break. Something More #9 1989. Tracey Moffatt On 16 December, the ACP will close its doors. The term “hibernate” has been tossed about but the ACP director, Pierre Arpin, told Guardian Australia that after haemorrhaging money since 2016, the days of staging public programs, exhibitions and workshops is over. “We’ll take some time to consult with the community to determine what form the ACP could take in the future, but what’s clear is that we can’t afford to manage programs in a space where we receive absolutely no public funding anymore,” he said. Co-founded by David Moore in… Read full this story
- Oculi: the photography collective's startling vision of Australian life – in pictures
- One of L.A.'s key showcases for photography is closing for good
- Historic England launches lockdown photography project
- In Long Beach, some big names in art will open a new space called Compound
- Art collection gives me inner joy — Desmond
- Patti LuPone braces for theater’s long closure: ‘I was made tough by this business’
- How a South L.A. gallery is turning Black Lives Matter protest signs into art
- Which famous Royal Academician painted this? The great British art quiz
- Art in the Garden This Weekend! And more... At the Arboretum, all kids 15 and under free with paid adult admission.
- Review: @museummammy knows a thing or two about art. Listen up
How photography-as-art came 'under siege': Bill Henson and Tracey Moffatt on the closure of the ACP have 324 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 24, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.