Watching my husband’s eyes open ever wider, his brow a startled arch as he read the manuscript telling the story of my life, I felt a rising panic. James and I had been together for 18 years — our relationship was loving and strong and we had a cherished daughter, Darcy, now ten. And yet, all the time we’d been together I’d kept a huge secret from him. Only now was he learning the truth of my past: that two years before we met, when I was 27, I married a cult leader and lived on a desert ranch in New Mexico with him and his 13 other wives. Finally, James put down the pages and looked over at me. ‘Well, I wasn’t expecting that,’ he said, his voice calm. Shaking, I said: ‘I’m so sorry it’s taken me until now to tell you. I didn’t know where to start. I hope you can forgive me.’ Kelly Alder (pictured) married a cult leader and lived on his New Mexico ranch when she was just 27. She was his 14th wife You’d never guess that mine is such an unconventional — even shocking — past. These days, at 49, I am… Read full this story
- From small-town Kentucky to the UN: Can Trump nominee Kelly Craft surprise the skeptics?
- Meet 6 law firm leaders, each with a different story, each at the top of her game
- WH reveals who will be in the room with Trump, Kim
- New film says the Miami Herald’s Gary Hart story transformed journalism. Did it really?
- DeSantis suspends Scott Israel — and names Broward’s first African-American sheriff
- Five Americans explain the burst of enthusiasm for Democratic candidates and causes
- The Finance 202: Fed report shows business execs worry about Trump's trade moves
- Lawsuits dispute whether the Indian Child Welfare Act is in the best interests of children
- A ‘blue wave’ in red Kansas? Democrats churn, Republicans resist as midterms near
- Disapproval of Trump grows as shutdown drags onward
How I became a cult leader's 14th wife: She grew up in the Surrey stockbroker belt then worked in advertising. But as Kelly reveals in a jaw-dropping new book, a chance meeting with a Native American guru changed her life have 324 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 11, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.