German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas called for an international effort to stabilize the Sahel region in Africa. The zone has seen escalating regional violence and terrorism in recent years. Maas pledged that Germany would continue and expand in its commitment to the United Nations’ MINUSMA peacekeeping missions in the West African nation of Mali. “We are calling on other UN member states to participate in the MINUSMA,” Maas told an online meeting of the UN’s Security Council. The situation in Mali “continues to pose a threat to world peace and international security,” he said. France and Germany are currently working on a joint initiative in the area. “Germany and France have launched a partnership for security and stability in the Sahel, in which the EU will play a leading role. Together, our two countries work hand in hand for peace and security,” he wrote on Twitter after the meeting. Danger extends to Europe The German parliament in May voted to extend participation in the MINUSMA mission, considered one of the most dangerous peacekeeping operations in the world. It was set up in 2013 and comprises 12,000 soldiers and 1,700 police officers. The US withdrew troops from the mission early in the year. Terrorists… Read full this story
- Germany produces enough renewable energy in six months to power country's households for a year
- UN draft calls on international shipping to halve greenhouse gas emissions by 2050
- Guatemala Calls for International Help Over Deadly Volcanic Eruption
- Latest: Taoiseach and Tánaiste call for 'national effort' to conserve water amid hosepipe ban
- Sen. Ben Cardin calls for international response to suspected Syria chemical attack
- Arab League chief calls for international probe into Israel 'crimes'
- Nicola Sturgeon calls for ‘international peace strategy’ over Syria
- Venezuela opposition calls for international pressure for aid corridor
- Mogherini calls on international community to respect Iran nuclear deal after Trump pulls out
- Canadian General: Mali Mission 'Far Messier' Than Standard Peacekeeping Missions
Germany's Maas calls for renewed international effort to stabilize Mali have 320 words, post on www.dw.com at November 6, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.