The leader of Ethiopia’s dissident Tigray region has said his people are “ready to die” defending their homeland, rejecting Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s ultimatum that they surrender within 72 hours. Abiy launched a military campaign against the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) on 4 November, accusing it of attacking two federal military camps in the northern region, as well as defying and seeking to destabilise his government. The federal army says its forces are within 60km (37 miles) of Mekelle, the Tigrayan capital and seat of the TPLF, ahead of a threatened all-out bombardment of the city of half a million people. Abiy – last year’s Nobel peace prize winner – on Sunday called on the TPLF to surrender peacefully within three days, saying they were “at a point of no return”. But the TPLF’s leader, Debretsion Gebremichael, said Abiy was trying to cover for setbacks his army had suffered against Tigrayan forces, and was issuing threats to buy time. “He doesn’t understand who we are. We are people of principle and ready to die in defence of our right to administer our region,” Debretsion told AFP via WhatsApp on Monday. A communications blackout in the region has made claims… Read full this story
- Bernie Madoff says he's dying and wants out of prison
- Demi Moore says she almost DIED during drug seizure and ‘saw the light’ just like in her movie Ghost
- Trump Shares 'The Simpsons'-Inspired Video of Himself as 'Super Trump,' Saying People Now 'Get It'
- African leaders reject Trump's Mideast peace plan
- Bernie Madoff Says He Is Dying of Kidney Failure and Wants to Be Released from Prison
- Coronavirus super-spreader revealed: Married globetrotting businessman and scout leader who unwittingly infected ELEVEN people across Europe and UK says he has 'fully recovered' but adds his 'thoughts are with other victims'
- Shannen Doherty Says She Is ''Dying'' of Terminal Cancer in Insurance Lawsuit
- What People Actually Say Before They Die
- Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez says ‘people like me’ aren’t welcome in current Democrat party as she withholds $250k in protest
- ‘People are dying’: Instagram influencers accused of exploiting coronavirus for clout
Ethiopia: Tigray leader rejects surrender ultimatum, says people are 'ready to die' have 353 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 24, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.