With more volcanoes per square metre than anywhere else in the world and nearly all of the island covered by rainforest, Dominica is the perfect place to get a real nature fix.
Unlike its neighbours Guadeloupe and Martinique, this Caribbean gem is English-speaking, however it’s still far from crowded.
I started my adventure in the small village of Wotten Waven at the Bongo Baths – mud pools and hot thermal springs that are different temperatures so you can always find one that suits.
And it’s a bargain at £10 for an hour’s session (Discoverdominica.com/en/places/253/bongo-baths).
Nearby, you’ll also find Freshwater Lake, where you can book a 90-minute yoga session for up to five people for £58 (Rainbowyogaindominica.wordpress.com), as well as lap up the stunning views of Trafalgar Falls.
Not far from here lies the tiny capital of Roseau and the Fort Young Hotel, which has fairly basic but huge double rooms with balconies that are perfect for watching breathtaking sunrises and sunsets, plus there’s a pool and hot tub.
Doubles cost from £129 a night (Fortyounghotel.com).
A whale of a time
Just a mile from Fort Young, I lived out my Free Willy dreams by joining a whale watching boat trip.
Dominica is the only country in the world where sperm whales can be spotted all year round, while another 22 species of whales – including orcas – and dolphins also visit the waters.
This means you’d be really unlucky not to spot any on the three-hour excursion, which costs £53 per person (Divedominica.com).
Fifty minutes up the coast are the Picard Beach Cottages, set in an old coconut plantation.
Each bungalow is named after a Pirates Of The Caribbean crew member who kipped there while filming two of the movies, and the incredible black sand beach is right on your doorstep.
Plus, they do amazing French toast come morning. Cottages cost from £90 a night (Picardbeachcottages.dm).
Hopping on a horse and trekking through the Cabrits National Park to the partially restored 18th-century ruins of Fort Shirley was my dream excursion.
You can even try bareback riding at the beach and down into the surf if you want an adrenalin kick.
A two-and-a-half-hour trip with Rainforest Riding is £77 per person.
Come evening, Zing Zing restaurant at Secret Bay hotel, tucked away in the north-west mountains, has insane ocean views and a delicious set menu, £60, that changes daily – but expect dishes
It’s perfect for a last-night treat (Secretbay.dm/dining).
Most read in Fabulous
Why The Queen wears five poppies on Remembrance Day & Kate opts for three
RAISE A TOAST
Woman reveals hidden compartment in toaster which makes them easier to clean
Skinniest times in my life have been my most miserable, says Kelly Brook
November 9: The loudest voices in your life don’t always say the best things
Mrs Hinch shows off massive Home Bargains Christmas haul including Yankee candles
USE YOUR HEAD
Hungover mum packs nuggets & yoghurt for her kids & says it’s all she can do
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]
- Love Island's Ched Uzor says the UK lockdown ripped him and Jess Gale apart making it impossible to 'build a relationship'... and that they 'don't have romantic conversations'
- Kelly Ripa has been 'secretly quarantining in the Caribbean' with her family...as she continues to film Live With Kelly And Ryan remotely
- Love Island’s Tyla Carr cuddles baby Archie just days after revealing her ‘horrendous’ post-pregnancy hair loss
- Caroline Flack killed herself when friend staying with her 'popped to the shops': Ex-Love Island star, 40, was found in London flat hours after she was told court case for 'assaulting boyfriend' would go ahead - as her team slam CPS
- ‘I had really been struggling': Jacqueline Jossa reflects on her decision to move away from husband Dan Osborne and their marital home as she reaches out to her fans
- Love Island's Jess Gale turns up the heat in a tiny blue bikini as she sunbathes with twin sister Eve in their garden
- Inside Camilla Thurlow and Jamie Hewitt's Love Island romance as they announce pregnancy
- In Long Island, Trump says Congress should have approved health care repeal
- Hurricane Maria Clobbers Puerto Rico, Causes Island-Wide Power Outage
- Jeffrey Epstein’s ‘paedo island’ raided by FBI agents in speedboats amid fears underage sex slaves were abused in billionaire’s bizarre temple
- US flag flies at HALF MAST on Jeffrey Epstein’s ‘paedo island’ as his Caribbean rape retreat becomes sick tourist attraction
- Netflix’s Jeffrey Epstein documentary claims Prince Andrew groped Virginia Roberts and grinded on her on Paedo Island
- Love Island couples still together after Camilla and Jamie’s baby news – with bizarre TV weddings and shock pregnancies
- Prince William and Kate Middleton jet away on holiday for Prince George's birthday
- 10 island adventures off the UK coast
- The real must-dos in South Island cities, towns and regions
- Sports cars, motorbikes and luxury boats: How locals have blown much of the $30million compensation given to them after the Palm Island riots on lavish goods
- 'Everything will be safe': Coronation Street star Helen Worth, 69, admits she hasn't received any new scripts ahead of the ITV soap's filming return 'in a few weeks'
- Tempers flare as Europe creeps out of lockdown: French woman is dragged away by cops for refusing to wear a mask, a huge crowd gathers for football match and Merkel tries to reimpose distancing on rogue German state
- How We Work Now: Island Records Senior VP/Head of Promotion Ayelet Schiffman
Enjoy a week away in Dominica — the Caribbean’s greenest island have 974 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at November 6, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.