People have been warned against holding large Christmas celebrations this year, despite hopes of a COVID-19 vaccine rollout.Former chief government scientific adviser Professor Sir Mark Walport has said that while there was “something iconic in people’s minds” about the festive season, it “doesn’t make sense to have big parties” in the face of the current coronavirus pandemic.Live COVID-19 updates from the UK and around the world Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Vaccine could be rolled out next month – Hancock His comments came as it was reported Boris Johnson was preparing to announce a plan for an easing of the COVID-19 rules over Christmas, where several families could be allowed to join a bubble and to mix between 22 and 28 December.Health Secretary Matt Hancock had earlier told a Downing Street briefing it was still too soon to say what contact people would be able to have, but said it would be “boost” for the UK if a “safe, careful and sensible” set of plans could be agreed between the devolved nations. Advertisement Sir Mark, a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), also said while the current UK lockdown measures appeared to… Read full this story
- A Definitive Guide to 2018’s Made-for-TV Christmas Movies, Divided by Trope
- Sundance Film Festival Lineup Includes Indie Darling Taylor Swift
- Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas’ Tops List for Most Annoying Song at Holidays
- The 50 greatest Christmas songs – ranked!
- World Health Organisation warns of a 'slide back' in global measles fight amid unprecedented outbreak in Samoa that has killed 55 people
- Why some Australian parents aren’t vaccinating their kids
- Revealed: The high street's Christmas coffees crammed with NINE TIMES more sugar than a Krispy Kreme doughnut and as many calories as a Domino's pizza
- Everything I Learned While Getting Kicked out of America's Biggest Anti-Vaccine Conference
- Tried and true: HPV vaccination shows sharp drop in cancer-causing infections
- Christmas jumpers are contributing to the plastic crisis, charity says as it urges people not to buy them
COVID-19: Warning over Christmas festivities despite coronavirus vaccine hopes have 335 words, post on news.sky.com at November 21, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.