The Duke of Cambridge contracted Covid-19 earlier this year, palace sources have told the BBC.
It is believed he tested positive in April at a similar time to his father, the Prince of Wales.
According to the Sun newspaper , which first reported the story, Prince William, 38, kept his diagnosis private to avoid alarming the nation.
Kensington Palace, the office and home of Prince William, refused to comment officially.
Prince William, second in line to the throne, did not tell anyone about his positive test result because “there were important things going on and I didn’t want to worry anyone”, according to the Sun.
He was treated by palace doctors and followed government guidelines by isolating at the family home Anmer Hall, in Norfolk, the paper added.
BBC royal correspondent, Jonny Dymond, said Prince William’s condition may not have been revealed publicly at the time as they may have wanted to avoid further alarm, given the national mood.
“But the palace also tries to preserve some privacy for the Royal Family,” our correspondent adds.
Prince William reportedly carried out 14 telephone and video call engagements during April.
Earlier in that month, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge video-called the children of key workers at a primary school in Burnley, Lancashire.
Prince Charles contracted coronavirus in March and travelled to Scotland to self-isolate for seven days after displaying mild symptoms.
At the time, the Duchess of Cornwall tested negative for the virus and self-isolated for 14 days.
The Prince of Wales, 71, later said he “got away with it quite lightly”.
During his first public engagement after recovering from coronavirus, Prince Charles said he had not fully regained his sense of taste and smell .
In April, Boris Johnson was admitted to hospital after testing positive for the virus.
The prime minister was moved to intensive care and later thanked healthcare workers for saving his life, saying it “could have gone either way”.
News of Prince William’s diagnosis comes days before England is due to enter a second national lockdown , with four-week measures to start on Thursday.
The UK recorded another 23,254 confirmed cases of coronavirus on Sunday, bringing the total since the pandemic began to 1,034,914.
Another 162 people were reported to have died within 28 days of a positive test. It brings the total number of UK deaths to 46,717.
- Queen gives Prince William new royal position after taking away Harry's
- Taking their crown! Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Sussex Royal Instagram overtakes Prince William and Kate Middleton's account after hitting 11.1 million followers
- Kate Middleton looks emotional as Prince William gives moving Holocaust speech
- Prince William and Kate's big announcement arrives - a plan to save the world
- Dazzling Duchess! Kate Middleton wows on BAFTA red carpet alongside Prince William as she recycles a white and gold gown by Alexander McQueen for the awards
- Prince William and 'Blossoming' Kate Middleton Team Up for a Busy Day of Prayer, Work and Tea
- Prince William and Pregnant Kate Middleton Step Out in Support of Children's Mental Health
- Prince William's moving tribute to great-grandmother at UK Holocaust Memorial Day service
- Queen Elizabeth II Gives Prince William a New Royal Position
- Queen Elizabeth Gives Prince William a New Royal Title amid Prince Harry & Meghan Markle's Exit
- Princes William and Harry reveal death of mother Princess Diana brought them closer together
- Prince Harry, Prince William and Prince Charles Step Out in Matching Tuxes for Rare Joint Event
- Kate Middleton's Lace Gown Includes a Sweet Nod to 9th Anniversary of Engagement to Prince William
- Kate Middleton and Prince William have been given a 'huge boost' by the Sussexes' retreat from the limelight and are relieved by the 'warm reception' they've been receiving, royal expert claims
- Prince William's hairdresser revealed - and he has many celebrity clients!
- Prince Harry Has Asked Prince William to Be His Best Man — and His Response Is So Heartfelt
- Prince William's SECRET holiday to America revealed
- Kate Middleton and Prince William reveal Prince George and Princess Charlotte have been told about the Holocaust
- Prince William Shares His Struggle as a First Responder: 'I Took Home a Lot Without Realizing It'
- Prince William and Kate to meet young people from India and Bhutan before tour kicks off
Covid-19: Prince William 'tested positive in April' have 764 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at November 2, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.