Using ultraviolet-C lights to sanitize surfaces during the COVID-19 pandemic could severely injure the eyes, a new study reveals. Also known as germicidal lamps, the lights are used in hospitals and medical centers to clean rooms and equipment and have become popular among homes and businesses to clean areas that have possibly come into contact with the coronavirus. Researchers found that seven patients, most of whom used the light to disinfect their houses and offices. developed painful inflammation of the cornea. The team, from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, says that, although all the patients recovered, the findings reveal the importance of educating the public about wearing eye protection around the lamps to prevent potential permanent damage to the eyes. Researchers from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine looked at seven patients who were exposed to germicidal lamps (pictured , which used a special type of UV light to kill viruses like the coronavirus All the patients did not use proper eye equipment and developed photokeratitis, a conditions that causes severe inflammation the cornea (above and below) ‘During the height of the pandemic, we noticed an increased number of patients coming in with irritation, pain and… Read full this story
- Kansas City Chiefs highlight gameday experience when attending home games amid coronavirus pandemic
- Good mental health, better sleep for physically active people amid coronavirus pandemic
- These States Still Haven't Expanded Mail-In Voting Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- New York to mark 9/11 anniversary amid coronavirus pandemic
- 9/11 first responders and survivors struggle amid coronavirus pandemic
- ‘Very Nice!’ - After banning the first one, Kazakhstan taps new Borat movie to woo tourists amid coronavirus pandemic
- Kim Kardashian slammed online for hosting lavish birthday bash amid coronavirus pandemic
- Suicide prevention amid coronavirus pandemic: 'We're still there for each other'
- Texas police who evicted Houston family on TV raise $228G to help amid coronavirus pandemic
- Amid coronavirus pandemic, dentist reports uptick in tooth fractures
At least seven Americans have damaged their eyes trying to use UV lamps to sanitize their homes and offices amid the coronavirus pandemic, study finds have 322 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 25, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.