Robert Jenrick today resisted calls from the Government’s scientific experts for another national lockdown as he said ‘you can’t have a stop-start country’. The Housing Secretary said it is the Government’s ‘very firm view’ that a nationwide ‘circuit breaker’ shutdown is not the right way forward as he insisted ministers intend to stick to their localised tiered approach. However, he conceded the ‘virus is in a bad place in all parts of the country’ and admitted many people are now feeling ‘fatigued’ and ‘frustrated’. He said the nation needs to ‘see the seriousness of the present situation’ and ‘redouble our efforts’ to comply with coronavirus rules in order to slow the spread of infection. His comments came after the Government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) piled fresh pressure on Boris Johnson to impose tougher restrictions after it warned up to 85,000 people could die in a second wave of the disease. Leaked SAGE projections suggest that under a ‘reasonable worst case scenario’ daily deaths could remain above 500 for three months or more, potentially lasting into March next year. Pressure on the Government’s approach has further increased after both Germany and France announced their own new lockdowns. The Government’s… Read full this story
- ‘Good Place’ Creator Mike Schur Tells Us What His Awards Show-Themed Bad Place Would Look Like
- Trump Shut Down the Government to Protect National Security. He Hurt It Instead.
- To stop the next massacre, Broward schools plan hiding places, real-time cameras
- French Government Fears 'Major Violence' Saturday Despite Fuel Tax Increase Reversal
- Fox News Host Goes Against Donald Trump, Says Calling National Emergency 'Would Be Bad'
- Government shutdown affects national parks, historic sites in Berks, surrounding area
- Lindsey Graham Urges Trump To Reopen Government Before Declaring National Emergency Over Border
- The 19 best places to retire in America where you can buy a house for under $250,000
- Kutch places eighth overall at 2018 Winter Nationals
- Government Shutdown Forces National Zoo To Turn Off Panda Suicide Cam
'You can't stop-start a country': Minister admits Covid-19 is 'in a bad place' in ALL of England but insists Government will RESIST calls for a national lockdown despite SAGE prediction of 85,000 second wave deaths and France and Germany ordering shutdowns have 332 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 29, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.