How was William Tubman brought up? William Vacanarat Shadrach Tubman was born on November 29, 1895. He hailed from Southeastern Liberia, from a town called Harper in Maryland County. It is not by coincidence that most names of places alluded to people and places in the USA: The Republic of Liberia was proclaimed in 1847 by freed slaves, who had returned from the United States in various batches over the first half of the century. Tubman’s father’s parents were part of a group of 69 freed slaves brought back to Liberia in 1844. His mother was born in Atlanta, Georgia. Tubman grew up in the very tough and strict home of his father, a stonemason, army general and Methodist preacher who required William and his siblings to attend daily family prayer services and sleep on the floor because he thought “beds were too soft and degrading to character development”. What was William Tubman renowned for? Tubman, who served as Liberia’s 19th president from 1944 until his death in 1971, is often referred to as for the father of modern Liberia. Through foreign investment, he built much of Liberia’s roads and railways and refurbished Monrovia’s port, creating the infrastructure for rubber… Read full this story
- Robbie Williams booked to open World Cup despite ‘Party Like A Russian’ track
- Liberia: Five American Nuns Killed Under Woewiyu’s Command, Former US Ambassador Testifies
- Alfred's Free Press: Liberia's Blackboard Reporter
- Liberia: When Will Suffering End in Clara Town?
- Liberia: Bong Supt. Mandated to Reinstate Dismissed Chiefs
- Liberia: Civil Servants Resolve to Sustain Their Union
- Liberia: 'We'll Hold Weah to Fulfill Pledge for Women's Rights"
- Reflection: Opong Weah The Best Candiadte For The New Liberia Part I
- ICT Announces New Direct Flight from Canada to Liberia
- 'Treasures from Jacob's Pillow' to be exhibited at Williams College
William Tubman: Modernizer of Liberia have 300 words, post on www.dw.com at October 4, 2020. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.